Reserve Bank governor Alan Bollard today cut the Official Cash Rate (OCR) to 8 percent from 8.25 percent, the first rate cut in five years.
He cut in spite of annual inflation being 4 percent and expected to hit 5 percent this quarter, citing a rapidly slowing economy.
Economists on average assessed there was a 57 percent chance Dr Bollard was going to move today rather than in September as he indicated last month.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Business Week in Review with Grant Walker & Andrew Patterson
- “Cut the cuteness about cannabis reform” - Matthew Hooton
- Rodney Hide thinks Winston Peters will be the future Maori king
- Ethical investment in Kiwisaver - David Cohen vs. Matt Nippert
- Hunter’s Corner: Time for a line in the copyright sand