Free audio stream, including stories that are padlocked on our site. Listen on any device, anywhere. Updated twice daily. The audio stream takes several seconds to start on Android devices.Launch Radio player
Reserve Bank governor Alan Bollard today cut the Official Cash Rate (OCR) to 8 percent from 8.25 percent, the first rate cut in five years.
He cut in spite of annual inflation being 4 percent and expected to hit 5 percent this quarter, citing a rapidly slowing economy.
Economists on average assessed there was a 57 percent chance Dr Bollard was going to move today rather than in September as he indicated last month.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- 'Hostile' bid puts new Kathmandu boss in the hot seat
- Greek tragedy, Chinese burn could hit NZ economy
- Building supplies, vineyards, forests and vineyards in latest OIO approvals
- UPDATED: Which ad agency won two-thirds of NZ’s medals at Cannes
- NZ’s Smartpay poised to benefit as regulator busts open Cabcharge