Rio Tinto Alcan (New Zealand), which holds Rio Tinto's stake in the Bluff aluminium smelter, is mulling its response after losing an appeal against an Employment Court ruling over a claim of $13.4 million.
The company took provisions for its share of the claim in its 2013 accounts, of $10.6 million, according to its annual report. It turned a profit of $66.8 million, from a small loss a year earlier, when it took a charge as an impairment against the smelter. Sales fell 13 percent to $655 million, driven by revenue from related parties.
Production at the smelter itself barely budged at 324,835 tonnes of saleable metal in 2013, from 326,963 a year earlier, according to the financial accounts of the operating company, New Zealand Aluminium Smelters, of which Rio owns 79 percent. Revenue at NZAS rose 16 percent to $796.6 million, although this included accounting gains.
Operating revenue fell 7.3 percent to about $647 million. The unit's profit for the year was $90.5 million from a $1.1 million loss a year earlier.
In notes to the Rio holding company's accounts, it provides more narrative on the performance of the smelter. While the facility had benefited from renegotiation of its Meridian Energy supply contract and operating improvements, it had been "largely offset by a combination of low metal prices combined with a high New Zealand dollar." The result was a $44 million, or 6 percent, reduction in metal revenues.
The government's cash grant to the smelter of $30 million, announced in August last year, made only a minor contribution in the year of $7.5 million recognised as other income. The company is obliged to repay the outstanding amount if it announces a review of the smelter's on-going viability before June 30, 2015, buying time for an important contributor to the Southland economy. As a result of the deal the price it paid for power was held at pre-2013 levels in exchange for guarantees it would remain operating until at least January 2017.
The smelter has been knocked back by the Employment Court over its appeal against a Employment Relations Authority ruling on its interpretation of pre-2004 individual employment contracts.
"NZAS is still considering its position in relation to the latest decision," it said.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Fellet unmoved by media company 'for-sale' signs as Sky TV mulls capital options
- Economics of Tiwai Point smelter still going backwards, Woodward's Kidd says
- Budget 2016: The debt picture softens
- Former Mighty River engineer sentenced to jail for fraud
- Google's Paris office raided in multi-billion tax evasion swoop
Most listened to
- AMA: Orion boss Ian McCrae delivers 10 quickfire answers to 10 quickfire questions from readers
- Government debt will top out at about 26% of GDP, well below most other countries, says Professor Niall Ferguson
- Taxpayers' Union director Jordan Williams is not sold on the government's 'Soviet-style' tourism accommodation plan
- Europe expansion could come quicker than planned, says Invert Robotics CEO James Robertson
- In his Editor’s Insight, Nevil Gibson argues the government’s role in tourism is more critical to economic growth than housing