Disgraced entertainer Rolf Harris was given a five year, nine month sentence overnight NZ time, but a Guardian report says he could be out within three years with good behaviour.
On Monday, a jury unanimously found Harris guilty of 12 indecent assaults against four girls — including one aged just seven or eight.
At his sentencing Friday, the judge made some jail terms concurrent and some consecutive, giving a total which was less than some observers had predicted.
The bad news for Harris: Attorney General Dominic Grieve is set to review the sentence following immediate complaints it was too light.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Sky says Roy Morgan's Neon number is too low, reveals On Demand usage
- $100m later, Woosh Wireless goes into voluntary administration
- Bank of China NZ unit funds Chinese-NZ mission to boost trade
- National hasn't got it right on IT skills shortage, Orion boss says
- Christchurch robotics inventor in talks with multi-billion dollar European company
Most listened to
- Can Arvida continue at this pace? CEO Bill McDonald weighs in
- AFT’s Dr Hartley Atkinson says the country will increase overseas revenue but it will be a “drip feed”
- US drone shocks in Pakistan with frightening questions in EgyptAir crash on Foreign Affairs Scope with Nathan Smith
- AMA: Orion boss Ian McCrae delivers 10 quickfire answers to 10 quickfire questions from readers
- Government debt will top out at about 26% of GDP, well below most other countries, says Professor Niall Ferguson