Defence Minister Wayne Mapp has confirmed that SAS troops will stay in Afghanistan until March next year.
Dr Mapp was questioned about New Zealand's special forces and aid efforts in the war-torn country in a defence select committee meeting today.
He said Cabinet had approved the provincial reconstruction team's placement in Bamiyan province until September next year and the SAS contingent until March.
He said the Defence Force anticipated New Zealand would retain some form of presence within the reconstruction team beyond next year.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Listen to the week's top business news in NBR Radio's weekend review
- Matthew Hooton discusses Labour's extreme left takeover
- Rodney Hide on how the TPP debate has become a moral argument
- Wick Nixon on how she's saving parents' sanity, one lunchbox at a time
- Tim Hunter talks about the legal dispute between Pyne Gould Corporation and Bath Street Capital