Defence Minister Wayne Mapp has confirmed that SAS troops will stay in Afghanistan until March next year.
Dr Mapp was questioned about New Zealand's special forces and aid efforts in the war-torn country in a defence select committee meeting today.
He said Cabinet had approved the provincial reconstruction team's placement in Bamiyan province until September next year and the SAS contingent until March.
He said the Defence Force anticipated New Zealand would retain some form of presence within the reconstruction team beyond next year.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Business Week in Review with Grant Walker & Andrew Patterson
- Matthew Hooton on Labour party’s reaction to the budget 2016
- Rodney Hide says the attack by University of Auckland over overfishing is nonsense
- Do social bonds make sense? Tim Hunter tells Andrew Patterson it’s not just about the warm fuzzies
- Cameron Officer talks about the car of the week - Volkswagen California Ocean