Free audio stream, including stories that are padlocked on our site. Listen on any device, anywhere. Updated twice daily. The audio stream takes several seconds to start on Android devices.Launch Radio player
Defence Minister Wayne Mapp has confirmed that SAS troops will stay in Afghanistan until March next year.
Dr Mapp was questioned about New Zealand's special forces and aid efforts in the war-torn country in a defence select committee meeting today.
He said Cabinet had approved the provincial reconstruction team's placement in Bamiyan province until September next year and the SAS contingent until March.
He said the Defence Force anticipated New Zealand would retain some form of presence within the reconstruction team beyond next year.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Final four alternative flag designs unfurled
- Pressing need for basic infrastructure overtakes Christchurch 'smart city' plan
- MARKET CLOSE: Shares fall as weak China manufacturing spurs regional selloff; ANZ, Westpac, Chorus decline
- Dollar gains ahead of dairy auction as Chinese PMI keeps traders nervous
- Not enough catch-up cash for Auckland Transport