Jetstar today announced another service into mainland China, its second in two months and says it has the country in its sights for future growth.
The low-cost carrier will operate the A320 return Singapore-Shantou flight three times a week.
In December last year, Jetstar began direct Singapore-Haikou flights four times a week and the new Shantou flight is the airline’s 20th Asia destination.
A spokesperson said China was a growth market but would not detail any likely future announcements or routes.
The flight was aimed at regional travellers along with business and leisure travellers, according to Jetstar Asia and Valuair chief executive Chong Phit Lian.
She said the China had “immense” potential for both Jetstar’s low fare offering and the Qantas Group network connections from its Singapore hub.
“Our latest low fare services, representing Jetstar’s second mainland Chinese market, will provide an unprecedented direct flight link for Teochew descendents now based or living in Singapore and the Guangdong Province as well as a convenient low fare flight offering for leisure and business travellers.”
About 5 million people live in Shantou, one of five special economic zones in China and a communication hub of southeast China, she said.
“First time direct flight access between Shantou and Singapore will shave hours off existing travel times for travel between both cities and regions.”
Jetstar is the first foreign carrier to operate international flights into Shantou Waisha Airport.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- The Icehouse’s Andy Hamilton says GIVs should attract American billionaires like Julian Robertson
- Rob Hosking on what to expect from this week's unemployment data
- Commerce Commission chairman Mark Berry explains why the Z Chevron merger will not reduce competition
- Summerset CEO Julian Cook discusses land banking, the build rate and the outlook
- Craigs' Mark Lister discusses the impact of the rising NZ dollar and the outlook for this week