Free audio stream, including stories that are padlocked on our site. Listen on any device, anywhere. Updated twice daily. The audio stream takes several seconds to start on Android devices.Launch Radio player
The Serious Fraud Office is investigating the Far North District Council.
The investigation comes after Far North Mayor John Carter and councillors commissioned an independent consultant to look into council activities late last year, the Kaikohe-based council said in a statement.
"The investigation was referred to the SFO who confirmed last week that it will conduct a formal investigation into the council," according to the statement.
Carter said the council is cooperating fully with the SFO and would not comment further.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Greens scream, Tech Liberty raises practical concerns as Customs asks for right to demand passwords
- Mass collection of Pacific data affects Kiwi holidaymakers — InternetNZ boss
- Ex-colonel to replace Isaacs at CERA
- Bankrupt suing Brendan Horan, MediaWorks a no show in court
- ASB named All Blacks' bank sponsor