The Serious Fraud Office is investigating the Far North District Council.
The investigation comes after Far North Mayor John Carter and councillors commissioned an independent consultant to look into council activities late last year, the Kaikohe-based council said in a statement.
"The investigation was referred to the SFO who confirmed last week that it will conduct a formal investigation into the council," according to the statement.
Carter said the council is cooperating fully with the SFO and would not comment further.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Yoghurt Story promoted products that did not contain yoghurt – ComCom
- Opportunity to own a slice of prehistoric New Zealand
- Will Hellaby's lumpy contract oil and gas business finally deliver?
- NZ house values rise at fastest pace in nine years
- NZ POLITICS DAILY: The rise of gender politics and feminism
Most listened to
- Hellaby’s oil & gas services business could deliver this year, says new managing director Alan Clarke
- Snakk Media chief executive Mark Ryan wonders how to "move the needle" on Snakk's share price
- Zero Emission Vehicle's Andrew Rushworth says his company may have been naïve
- FMA markets oversight director Garth Stanish tells NBR improvements in professional scepticism are particularly needed
- Head-to-head: Federated Farmers director Katie Milne and SAFE executive director Hans kriek debate dairy industry's treatment of bobby calves