The Serious Fraud Office is investigating the Far North District Council.
The investigation comes after Far North Mayor John Carter and councillors commissioned an independent consultant to look into council activities late last year, the Kaikohe-based council said in a statement.
"The investigation was referred to the SFO who confirmed last week that it will conduct a formal investigation into the council," according to the statement.
Carter said the council is cooperating fully with the SFO and would not comment further.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Pumpkin Patch loss widens 71% as sales slide, debt mounts
- New Crimson capital values founder Jamie Beaton's stake at $73m
- Equity crowdfunding site folds in market shake-up
- Brown lauds family and Maori in valedictory speech
- MARKET CLOSE: NZ shares rise in global rally, index led by Orion Health, Fisher & Paykel
Most listened to
- Taryn Hamilton on why you need 1 gig UFB
- ASB economist Daniel Snowden: Businesses only see the kiwi dollar dropping by 4% in 12 months
- ‘If you want to go around telling people how they should think, don’t do it with taxpayer money’ – David Seymour on Susan Devoy
- Craigs' Grant Swanepoel on how he expects Z to reconfigure the Z and Caltex brands
- Cameron Officer details the latest motoring news