The Serious Fraud Office is investigating the Far North District Council.
The investigation comes after Far North Mayor John Carter and councillors commissioned an independent consultant to look into council activities late last year, the Kaikohe-based council said in a statement.
"The investigation was referred to the SFO who confirmed last week that it will conduct a formal investigation into the council," according to the statement.
Carter said the council is cooperating fully with the SFO and would not comment further.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- TradeGecko 'doing millions in revenue' as ex-Kiwi startup builds customers from Singapore
- Trump’s close financial & political ties with Russia will ultimately hurt him, security expert says
- Pushpay director says why he bought $1.8m worth of shares
- Punakaiki Fund invests in Taranaki software company
- Parking makes sense in Cambridge company’s multi-million dollar US win
Most listened to
- The Unitary Plan will change the face of Auckland. NBR reporter Sally Lindsay looks at the changes
- Rabobank's newly appointed CEO Daryl Johnson answers seven key questions on this agriculture industry
- In Editor's Insight, Nevil Gibson examines new revelations about downing of Flight MH370
- InternetNZ boss's two problems with TPP legislation
- Germany’s terror and Turkish torture on Foreign Affairs Scope with Nathan Smith