Free audio stream, including stories that are padlocked on our site. Listen on any device, anywhere. Updated twice daily. The audio stream takes several seconds to start on Android devices.Launch Radio player
The Serious Fraud Office is investigating the Far North District Council.
The investigation comes after Far North Mayor John Carter and councillors commissioned an independent consultant to look into council activities late last year, the Kaikohe-based council said in a statement.
"The investigation was referred to the SFO who confirmed last week that it will conduct a formal investigation into the council," according to the statement.
Carter said the council is cooperating fully with the SFO and would not comment further.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- 'I guess I'm back to piracy' — Auckland man as HBO NOW follows through on cut-off threat
- The Moxie Sessions: Will the last person out of Ohura please turn out the lights (but for the love of God don’t unplug the navigation beacon)
- Rodney Hide is wrong on climate change
- Crying wolf as climate change takes a ‘hiatus’
- Don’t laugh: Winston’s plan to be PM