Labour leader David Shearer has suddenly softened to challenger David Cunliffe - dropping a strong hint the New Lynn MP could return to the front bench if he renounces any claim on the top job.
Just four days after his Alpha Male move to demote one-time finance spokesman, Mr Shearer gave him new hope when interviewed on TV3's The Nation today.
"I have an enormous amount of respect for him; his knowledge around the economic issues and his knowledge of the politics that surround economic issues. He’s very talented," Mr Shearer said.
"I would like to have him in a high position and that door is certainly open to him
"He just needs to put his head down and work for the team, for all of the caucus. Let’s put ambition aside."
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Business Week in Review with Grant Walker & Andrew Patterson
- Matthew Hooton on the state of the British Labour party under Jeremy Corbyn
- Rodney Hide on the Ombudsman’s investigation into SSC conduct of MFAT leaks inquiry
- David Cohen on how to walk out of a TV interview
- Imperial Tobacco lobbyist insists NZ visit about “contributing expertise,” not pressuring government on plain packaging law