Free audio stream, including stories that are padlocked on our site. Listen on any device, anywhere. Updated twice daily. The audio stream takes several seconds to start on Android devices.Launch Radio player
Labour leader David Shearer has suddenly softened to challenger David Cunliffe - dropping a strong hint the New Lynn MP could return to the front bench if he renounces any claim on the top job.
Just four days after his Alpha Male move to demote one-time finance spokesman, Mr Shearer gave him new hope when interviewed on TV3's The Nation today.
"I have an enormous amount of respect for him; his knowledge around the economic issues and his knowledge of the politics that surround economic issues. He’s very talented," Mr Shearer said.
"I would like to have him in a high position and that door is certainly open to him
"He just needs to put his head down and work for the team, for all of the caucus. Let’s put ambition aside."
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- NZ should double refugee quota — Devoy
- All countries including NZ have a 'collective responsibility' to respond to refugee crisis - Red Cross
- Dollar heads for 1.5% weekly decline as markets shy away from risk; US jobs report looms
- Is Key losing interest in the job?
- Refugee crisis: Leaders should not react to a chaotic moment