Ahead of Vodafone's probable* 4G launch tomorrow, NBR thought it would ask Telecom about its mobile network upgrade plans.
A spokeswoman replied, "We’re planning to launch a commercial 4G LTE product before the end of the year and will roll this out progressively as demand warrants."
There's no firmer timing at this point, but we do have an earlier statement from Telecom's CFO that there is only capex budgeted this financial year (ending June 30) for the company's 4G trial, not a commercial roll-out. But tomorrow, of course, the goal posts could be moved for everyone - so you've got to wonder if Telecom will feel under pressure to launch sooner, even if it's in very confined geographic areas.
NBR also canvassed 2degrees.
A spokeswoman said, "2degrees will be moving to 4G – although we won’t be revealing details or timing of our plans at this stage."
It's worth noting at this juncture that the carrier is now in a better position to upgrade. CEO Eric Hertz recently revealed 2degrees bought a 1800MHz block of spectrum from Telstra for $15 million (Vodafone proposed selling some of TelstraClear's spectrum be made available to other market players last year as it announced it had entered an agreement to buy Telstra's NZ subsidiary, heading off likely Commerce Commission qualms on that front.)
* NBR understands that Vodafone partners were briefed on the 4G launch today.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Joyce associates openly talking about leadership change
- Parent, widow of Pike River casualties fail to force review of decision to drop charges against Whittall
- Baker boys cook up a winner with Trilogy
- Dairy industry must learn to share its toys or get put in the naughty corner
- Veritas does it the hard way
Most listened to
- Tim Hunter on why Veritas is doing it the hard way
- Matthew Hooton on whether Steven Joyce will be the next national leader
- Rodney Hide on why all city planners should be fired
- Nevil Gibson discusses his latest Editor's Insight on films
- The NBR crew throw around some of the week's top stories
- Rob Hosking breaks down the political and economic week that was
- "A tragedy" - David Farrar on his disappointment with Simon Bridges
- New F&P product pipeline exciting, says Macquarie senior investment adviser Brad Gordon
- Taupo Motorsport Park executive director Tony Walker on the park's rebranding
- NZIER senior economist Christina Leung on why she does not think the OCR will hit 2%
- NBR's Cameron Officer talks about the NBR Car of the Year 2015
- John Barnett on Brewer: ‘Boy, has he got a bit to learn’