The Mercedes and the Sky Tower
In the early of Sunday morning, Auckland's Sky Tower was a hive of activity as a Mercedes car was hoisted 90m up the side of the city landmark.
Decorations were hung last week and Sunday saw the amazing sight of the brand new Mercedes-Benz C200 CGI Sport Edition being hoisted up the side of the Sky Tower to form the trunk of a giant Christmas tree papered to the Tower.
Of course it's all in the name of Christmas giveaways with the Merc to be won by a Sky City patron who spends over $20 on site.
The entertainment company is also running a competition to award $10,000 to a deserving person nominated by the public. Entries open Monday and can be made via the Sky City Auckland Facebook page, an entry box in the Atrium or via post.
Sky City Christmas facts and figures
• Christmas tree in the Sky City Atrium is:176 branches; 75,702 tips; over 3,000 balls and ornaments and its own lighting system with over 12,000 lights.
Christmas tree sticker on the side of the Sky Tower:
• 20m high x 4m wide
• Nearly 90 individual pieces of vinyl
• Installed by the Sky City building maintenance unit and specially trained team of six abseilers who must stick each individual piece, dropping down the tower in unison
• The base of the sticker is 90m off the ground
Mercedes Benz hanging off the tower/ getting it up there with the biggest crane in New Zealand:
• Brand new Mercedes-Benz C200 CGI Sport Edition will be 90M off the ground
• Car weighs 1.5 ton
• The car is worth over $75,000
• Installed on 4 x 24mm diameter bolts which are currently fixed 500mm deep into the side of the tower; these are attached to a support frame which is connected to the underside of the car
• Crane is 300 ton and needs six people onsite for the install
• Crane arrived on Labour weekend and was tested by Auckland Cranes
• Crane has 80 meters main boom, 21 m fly jib; first time in the Southern hemisphere a mobile crane has had 80m of boom.