Free audio stream, including stories that are padlocked on our site. Listen on any device, anywhere. Updated twice daily. The audio stream takes several seconds to start on Android devices.Launch Radio player
Auckland Council's transport arm has fired the person responsible for complaining to the employer of a woman who criticised it on Twitter.
Auckland Transport communications manager Sharon Hunter would not confirm what the person's job was, only saying: "The person no longer works for Auckland Transport as of the end of yesterday. The person was a contractor."
The Twitter bullying incident – which has drawn a huge response from readers – was sparked by a tweet by Telecom employee Tara Sutherland on Monday, expressing disdain at the council's excessive parking rates.
Shortly after, the unidentified Auckland Transport contractor complained to Telecom about the tweet.
NBR ONLINE posted a story about the incident about lunch time on Tuesday and the person who snitched to Telecom was gone hours later.
The story prompted a flurry of comments from readers attacking the council's bullying tactics, many with their own stories of council bureaucratic madness.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- NZ can afford the future cost of superannuation — English
- Vodafone accused of manipulating debt arrangements to avoid New Zealand tax
- BUDGET 2015: How will tax on capital gain impact housing market? English unsure
- BUDGET 2015: Robertson says Labour will reverse key policies
- Southern Cross Cable: Cut proves resilience of our network