In an ironic twist of events ordinary Internet users were not alone in using Megaupload’s file-sharing services before it was shut down earlier this year.
According to a blog posted up online to TorrentFreak, the website’s founder Kim Dotcom revealed that among everyday users of the site were US government officials.
“Guess what – we found a large number of Mega accounts from US government officials including the Department of Justice and the US Senate,” Mr Dotcom told TorrentFreak in an interview.
“I hope we will soon have permission to give them and the rest of our users access to their files.”
The find comes with attempts to have user data, still within the now shut-down site, retrieved by its rightful users.
Many users, some who had payed for ‘premium’ Mega accounts, have had their data jeopardised following the site’s close and Mr Dotcom’s arrest in January this year.
“We are negotiating with the Department of Justice to allow all Mega users to retrieve their data,” he told TorrentFreak.
More news concerning the retrieval of user data will surface in the coming weeks as Megaupload’s legal team works their way through the online dilemma.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Blame the architects for the building my company is about to destroy
- Loss of Premier League rights reveals limit to Spark's on-demand video ambition
- Smith's latest SHA announcement draws sneers, stinting support
- Briefcase: Dildos and six reasons for lawyers to like the TPPA, Duncan Cotterill’s Auckland 'raid'
- NZ tech stocks brace for a rocky few months
Most listened to
- Phil Twyford on why SHAs aren’t a silver bullet for Auckland and Labour’s three point housing plan
- Milford Asset Management's Sam Trethewey with the latest sharemarket news
- First NZ Capital's Chris Green says the housing market may be cooling
- Moody's executives are positive on New Zealand's economy but expect continued depressed dairy prices
- Fitzroy Engineering's Mark Arnold on creating a tropical underwater restaurant