Free audio stream, including stories that are padlocked on our site. Listen on any device, anywhere. Updated twice daily. The audio stream takes several seconds to start on Android devices.Launch Radio player
In Mountain View, California, Google has demonstrated a prototype self-driving car with no steering wheel.
The vehicle can achieve speeds of just under 50km/hr.
Google hopes to have 100 of the cars being trialled on public roads by this time next year.
Benefits of a self-driving car include potentially increased safety and traffic flow; help for people who otherwise couldn't drive; and freedom from parking fees or the ability to share a vehicle (the idea is you drive to work, then your self-driving car sends itself home to your free garage, or for your partner to use during the day).
See more on the company's self-driving car project page.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Sky TV says programming costs-to-revenue ratio likely to rise in 2016
- S* Happens! An Open Letter to John Campbell
- 2degrees narrows loss, reveals new customer number
- MARKET CLOSE: Shares rise, led by Tower, Fletcher
- Chorus says RMA fix needed as fibre rollout stumbles on shared driveways, multi-unit homes