An object that looked like a massive shooting star appeared over Mebourne for around 60 seconds just before 10pm local time last night.
The Australian Government's The Bureau of Meteorology said it the object had yet to be identified. It was possible it was a meteor or a piece of space junk.
The Melbourne Age quoted one social media commentor who dubbed it a "hipster meteor", an apparent reference to the space object's passage over some of the Australian city's trendier inner city areas.
One observer (see first video below) mistook it for a crashing plane.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Business Week in Review with Grant Walker & Andrew Patterson
- The kiwi dollar has spiked against the pound in one of the biggest one day currency moves in history. NBR’s Jason Walls breaks down the dollar’s movement
- What Brexit now means for NZ, with NZIER John Ballingall
- Dr Oliver Hartwich says everyone should stay calm and carry on
- Matthew Hooton on making a moral case for social capital