An object that looked like a massive shooting star appeared over Mebourne for around 60 seconds just before 10pm local time last night.
The Australian Government's The Bureau of Meteorology said it the object had yet to be identified. It was possible it was a meteor or a piece of space junk.
The Melbourne Age quoted one social media commentor who dubbed it a "hipster meteor", an apparent reference to the space object's passage over some of the Australian city's trendier inner city areas.
One observer (see first video below) mistook it for a crashing plane.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Innovation and infrastructure still holding back NZ's international competitiveness
- Warminger’s FPH trade ‘a game-changer’: Forsyth Barr
- Politics: Labour and Green parties shuffle their decks
- Pumpkin Patch loss widens 71% as sales slide, debt mounts
- Hydroworks already 'third of a way through' Australian capital raise
Most listened to
- Hydroworks CEO Andrew Rodwell on the company's prospects post-funding.
- Trading with Milford’s “Ming” – Goldmans and Forbars give evidence at Warminger trial
- CBL managing director Peter Harris on the insurer's future plans.
- In Editor's Insight, Nevil Gibson finds women are still under-represented at all levels of the corporate ladder
- Privacy Commissioner John Edwards on a pending law change that will affect your business