An object that looked like a massive shooting star appeared over Mebourne for around 60 seconds just before 10pm local time last night.
The Australian Government's The Bureau of Meteorology said it the object had yet to be identified. It was possible it was a meteor or a piece of space junk.
The Melbourne Age quoted one social media commentor who dubbed it a "hipster meteor", an apparent reference to the space object's passage over some of the Australian city's trendier inner city areas.
One observer (see first video below) mistook it for a crashing plane.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Weldon should resign: Edwards
- Concession on fees sees ANZ first onboard for Apple Pay
- Facebook exec on info requests from NZ govt agencies: the numbers, and the criteria for forking over your data
- Bridges is right to get out of driver’s seat
- Macroeconomic roundup: China’s debt climbs to $US25 trillion
Most listened to
- Sunday Business with Andrew Patterson
- Listen to the week’s top business news on NBR Radio’s week in review
- Tim Hunter asks: Is the government planning to hand control of water to iwi?
- Matthew Hooton on Winston Peters’ plan to become prime minister
- Rodney Hide on the technological development and economic advance in transport