An object that looked like a massive shooting star appeared over Mebourne for around 60 seconds just before 10pm local time last night.
The Australian Government's The Bureau of Meteorology said it the object had yet to be identified. It was possible it was a meteor or a piece of space junk.
The Melbourne Age quoted one social media commentor who dubbed it a "hipster meteor", an apparent reference to the space object's passage over some of the Australian city's trendier inner city areas.
One observer (see first video below) mistook it for a crashing plane.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- IRD IT programme to lead to loss of about 1000 jobs
- Warminger wants FMA's 'catch-all pleading' refined
- The Budget in 60 seconds: 10 key points
- Privacy Commissioner says LinkedIn's communication over data breach 'poor'
- MARKET CLOSE: NZX 50 rises to record; F&P Healthcare result adds to upbeat NZ Inc sentiment
Most listened to
- Business Week in Review with Grant Walker & Andrew Patterson
- Matthew Hooton on Labour party’s reaction to the budget 2016
- Rodney Hide says the attack by University of Auckland over overfishing is nonsense
- Do social bonds make sense? Tim Hunter tells Andrew Patterson it’s not just about the warm fuzzies
- Cameron Officer talks about the car of the week - Volkswagen California Ocean