An object that looked like a massive shooting star appeared over Mebourne for around 60 seconds just before 10pm local time last night.
The Australian Government's The Bureau of Meteorology said it the object had yet to be identified. It was possible it was a meteor or a piece of space junk.
The Melbourne Age quoted one social media commentor who dubbed it a "hipster meteor", an apparent reference to the space object's passage over some of the Australian city's trendier inner city areas.
One observer (see first video below) mistook it for a crashing plane.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- The Unitary Plan will change the face of Auckland. NBR reporter Sally Lindsay looks at the changes
- Rabobank's newly appointed CEO Daryl Johnson answers seven key questions on this agriculture industry
- In Editor's Insight, Nevil Gibson examines new revelations about downing of Flight MH370
- InternetNZ boss's two problems with TPP legislation
- Germany’s terror and Turkish torture on Foreign Affairs Scope with Nathan Smith