Following Friday’s explosion at Pike River mine, Vodafone has been working with The New Zealand Red Cross to provide essential communications support to those affected, the company said in a statement.
The Vodafone Network Operations Team has deployed extra mobile cellsites to the region to best manage capacity while there is significantly increased demand in the area.
All services in the region are working, and additional 3G capacity was scheduled to be available by the end of Monday.
Vodafone,s rural partner, Farmside, is currently working to deploy a self-aligning satellite dish, which will be used to connect a free wi-fi hotspot to the internet.
"We want to ensure that the people most intimately involved don’t have to worry about telecommunications during this very difficult time," the company said in a statement.
"For that reason we have offered free local, national and mobile calls to the families of those affected as well as the volunteers. This support can be accessed either through the Red Cross or from 100% Ellery’s in Greymouth."
Telecom has also boosted mobile coverage in the area, and provided free calling for those affected by the tragedy.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Blame the architects for the building my company is about to destroy
- Loss of Premier League rights reveals limit to Spark's on-demand video ambition
- Awaroa owner's debt stoush raises crowdfunding profile
- Briefcase: Dildos and six reasons for lawyers to like the TPPA, Duncan Cotterill’s Auckland 'raid'
- NZ tech stocks brace for a rocky few months
Most listened to
- Phil Twyford on why SHAs aren’t a silver bullet for Auckland and Labour’s three point housing plan
- Milford Asset Management's Sam Trethewey with the latest sharemarket news
- First NZ Capital's Chris Green says the housing market may be cooling
- Moody's executives are positive on New Zealand's economy but expect continued depressed dairy prices
- Fitzroy Engineering's Mark Arnold on creating a tropical underwater restaurant