Wellington International Airport turns to a profit in first half, increases payment to shareholders

Wellington Airport 12-month price history (NZX.com)

Free audio stream, including stories that are padlocked on our site. Listen on any device, anywhere. Updated twice daily. The audio stream takes several seconds to start on Android devices.

Launch Radio player

Wellington International Airport [NZDX: WIA010], which is co-owned by infrastructure investor Infratil and Wellington City Council, turned to a profit in the first half and increased its payment to its shareholders.

The airport hub for the Wellington region posted a profit of $1.9 million in the six months to Sept. 30, from a loss of $5.6 million the year earlier, it said in a statement.

Wellington City Council, which owns 34 percent of the airport company, received a dividend payment of $10.8 million, up from $8.8 million in the year earlier period. Infratil, which owns the remaining 66 percent of the company, was paid $35.3 million, up from $30 million last year.

Wellington Airport revenue rose 6.9 percent to $55 million in the first half. Landing and terminal charges, which make up 60 percent of total sales, increased 7.9 percent, while revenue from retail and trading rose 6.4 percent, and property rent and lease income increased 3.2 percent.

Since May last year the company has earmarked a group of houses bordering the airport for removal because of concerns about aircraft noise. It wrote down the value of those properties by $656,000 in the latest period, compared with a write down of $3.3 million in the year earlier period.

(BusinessDesk)


1 · Got a question about this story? Leave it in Comments & Questions below.

This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags

1 Comment & Question

Commenter icon key: Subscriber Verified

Wellington City Councils 34%.share of profits is $10 million, which suggests a total profit in the regions of $30-31 million. How does Infratil end up with $35.3 million for its 66% share then. Can anyone tell me?

Reply
Share
  • 0
  • 0

Post New comment or question

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

NZ Market Snapshot

Forex

Sym Price Change
USD 0.6694 -0.0015 -0.22%
AUD 0.8762 -0.0025 -0.28%
EUR 0.6040 -0.0041 -0.67%
GBP 0.4286 -0.0013 -0.30%
HKD 5.1831 -0.0175 -0.34%
JPY 82.5230 -0.1920 -0.23%

Commods

Commodity Price Change Time
Gold Index 1169.3 -2.700 2015-07-01T00:
Oil Brent 62.5 1.290 2015-07-01T00:
Oil Nymex 56.9 -2.070 2015-07-01T00:
Silver Index 15.6 -0.021 2015-07-01T00:

Indices

Symbol Open High Last %
NZX 50 5794.4 5841.5 5794.4 0.81%
NASDAQ 5029.1 5038.6 4986.9 0.53%
DAX 11191.3 11229.0 11180.5 0.17%
DJI 17638.1 17801.8 17619.5 0.79%
FTSE 6608.6 6623.7 6608.6 -0.01%
HKSE 26459.4 26459.4 26250.0 0.12%
NI225 20565.9 20601.7 20329.3 0.95%