Free audio stream, including stories that are padlocked on our site. Listen on any device, anywhere. Updated twice daily. The audio stream takes several seconds to start on Android devices.Launch Radio player
“Taxpayers are sick of bailing out Kiwirail and the Interislander every time one of the dud ships hits a wharf,” says Jordan Williams, Executive Director of the Taxpayers’ Union.
“Winston Peters is right, the government is not a good manager of a shipping fleet. The Interislander should be sold to an expert shipping company. The public would probably get a better service and the taxpayer wouldn’t cop the bill when management screw up and buy a lemon.”
“The taxpayer doesn't pay a cent when something goes wrong at Bluebridge. Why do taxpayers need to own the Interislander and throw more good money after bad?”
The Taxpayer Union boss earlier compared the Interislander's parent company, Kiwirail, to Solid Energy, saying the Crown should not "throw good money after bad."
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Don’t laugh: Winston’s plan to be PM
- Rodney Hide is wrong on climate change
- Crying wolf as climate change takes a ‘hiatus’
- The Moxie Sessions: Will the last person out of Ohura please turn out the lights (but for the love of God don’t unplug the navigation beacon)
- In pictures: remembering the Anzacs