“Taxpayers are sick of bailing out Kiwirail and the Interislander every time one of the dud ships hits a wharf,” says Jordan Williams, Executive Director of the Taxpayers’ Union.
“Winston Peters is right, the government is not a good manager of a shipping fleet. The Interislander should be sold to an expert shipping company. The public would probably get a better service and the taxpayer wouldn’t cop the bill when management screw up and buy a lemon.”
“The taxpayer doesn't pay a cent when something goes wrong at Bluebridge. Why do taxpayers need to own the Interislander and throw more good money after bad?”
The Taxpayer Union boss earlier compared the Interislander's parent company, Kiwirail, to Solid Energy, saying the Crown should not "throw good money after bad."
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Sunday Business with Andrew Patterson
- Listen to the week’s top business news on NBR Radio’s week in review
- Tim Hunter asks: Is the government planning to hand control of water to iwi?
- Matthew Hooton on Winston Peters’ plan to become prime minister
- Rodney Hide on the technological development and economic advance in transport