Apple customers have downloaded more than 40 billion apps, with two billion-plus just in December.
And half of the total – 20 billion – were downloaded in 2012 on iPhones, iPods or iPod Touch.
The 10 billion milestone came in early 2011 and the 25 billion mark in March last year.
Updates or re-downloads are not included.
Apple's app store, which opened in 2008, has more than 500 million active accounts and 775,000 individual apps are available.
The company says it has so far paid more than $US7 billion to app developers.
By the end of 2012, 25 billlion Google Android apps had been downloaded - 15 billion of them over the past 12 months.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Scales Corp CEO Andy Borland assesses likely immigration cuts
- Forsyth Barr’s Kevin Stirrat talks through the market reaction to the new government
- Iron Duke director Phil O'Reilly on how concerned businesses should be about the new Labour-led government
- New Sky TV NZ director Mike Darcey on the skills he brings from Sky UK, and what it's like working for Rupert Murdoch
- Nevil Gibson's back on Wall Street's darkest day and what has happened since
- NBR Radio: The best interviews, with Grant Walker — updated daily