Apple customers have downloaded more than 40 billion apps, with two billion-plus just in December.
And half of the total – 20 billion – were downloaded in 2012 on iPhones, iPods or iPod Touch.
The 10 billion milestone came in early 2011 and the 25 billion mark in March last year.
Updates or re-downloads are not included.
Apple's app store, which opened in 2008, has more than 500 million active accounts and 775,000 individual apps are available.
The company says it has so far paid more than $US7 billion to app developers.
By the end of 2012, 25 billlion Google Android apps had been downloaded - 15 billion of them over the past 12 months.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Tourism Association head Chris Roberts explains why the accommodation industry will fight 150% council rates rises
- Competition lawyer Andy Matthews' rates Spark's chance of success with its Skyfone legal challenge
- Kiwibank CEO Paul Brock on rising mortgage book, falling profit
- Thincats’ Sunil Aranha on how Harmoney could cope in the competitive Australian market
- Nevil Gibson says Fitch Ratings has moved its main risk to the economy from dairy returns to house prices