BUSINESSDESK: The Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority says 26,000 sections should be coming to market for development in the devastated city of Christchurch next year.
Chief executive Roger Sutton told Parliament’s finance and expenditure committee the pace of the department’s work has accelerated since its inception last year, and it has paved the way for some widespread residential property development to house displaced locals.
“Twenty six thousand sections within the greater Christchurch region are available for development,” he said. “Hopefully by next year we will have those properties on market.”
Property values are increasing in Christchurch, according to last month’s Quotable Value figures, and ASB’s housing confidence survey shows house price inflation expectations are greatest in the country’s second-biggest city.
Sutton said the speed with which it’s moving has attracted all kinds of investors looking for greenfield opportunities and he’s optimistic about the city’s future.
CERA is working through some $2.5 billion of infrastructure reconstruction, with water, sewage, electricity and telecommunications networks at the front of the queue before new roading is installed.
Sutton came under fire from Labour Party MP Lianne Dalziel, who said residents in the ‘red zone’, where the government decided homes were uneconomic to repair, were given a Clayton’s choice in voluntarily accepting the government’s offer.
Last year, Prime Minister John Key and Earthquake Reconstruction Minister Gerry Brownlee announced an offer to residents in the ‘red zone’ to either sell property and land to the Crown at a pre-September valuation, or sell the land only to the government leaving the resident to deal with the insurer.
CERA still has at least a year to work through demolishing buildings in Christchurch’s central business district, and the department is trying to recycle as much material as possible, Sutton said.
The Earthquake Commission also appeared in front of the committee and chairman Michael Wintringham said the department is working through ways to pay a cash settlement over the increased susceptibility of land to future events.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Big swings in Orion Health's share price ahead of key earnings announcement today
- TechDay and NetGuide publisher settles with liquidators, creditors left $2m short
- PM defends MPI as criticism over myrtle rust spread mounts
- NBR Rich List family unable to settle dispute over $264k
- MARKET CLOSE: NZ shares fall in light holiday trading
Most listened to
- Lawyer Adina Thorn discusses her decision to launch a class action against Carter Holt Harvey over its Shadowclad product
- Westpac senior economist Satish Ranchhod says student inflows continue to be a big driver of growth
- Spark chief executive Simon Moutter says getting in tune with your market is a major benefit from diversity
- Nevil Gibson reveals rising life expectancy rates could increase pension costs even higher
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended May 26, with Grant Walker