Should GeoNet get a funding top-up to allow for 24/7 hazard monitoring by staff
The government has announced details of a wage subsidy for employers in quake-hit areas around Kaikoura.
Meanwhile, Wellington City Council CEO Kevin Lavery tells NBR he's in talks with the government for compensation for small businesses affected by the growing number of building evacuations, car park closures and cordons in the capital.
The Kaikoura package will see businesses with fewer than 20 staff, who are unable to pay staff due to road or coastal damage — and who have exhausted private loss-of-earnings insurance cover – will be able to claim:
- $500 gross per week for a full-time employee ($4000 per person);
- $300 gross per week for a part-time employee ($2400 per person);
Employers on the scheme will also not be subject to GST.
The subsidy will be initially paid for eight weeks and can be backdated to the date of the earthquake and employers can "top up" the subsidy.
It will be available for businesses in Kaikoura, Cheviot, Waiau, Rotherham, Mt Lyford and Ward who face a dramatic drop in their turnover as a direct result of the earthquakes and the closure of SH1.
"The road is unlikely to open for many weeks and possibly months," Economic Development Minister Steven Joyce says. "On top of that, the earthquake has had a massive negative effect on the fisheries industry in the district. It is clear that if we don't move quickly, much of the employment in the area will dry up," Mr Joyce says.
The package is modelled on previous support packages for small businesses after the Christchurch earthquakes, Social Development Minister Anne Tolley says.
"It is designed to give employers who experience a sudden big and sustained drop in revenue the confidence to retain their permanent staff while we all get more certainty on the future of the district’s key industries like tourism, hospitality and fisheries.”
Green Party earthquake recovery spokeswoman Eugenie Sage says she supports the package, but that it will have to last longer than eight weeks.
Mr Joyce says further measures are in the works.
All-purpose helpline set up
An 0800 779 997 Government Helpline has been activated to assist people needing financial and other support following the Kaikoura quake. The number will operate seven days a week from 7am to 9pm until further notice.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Fletcher staff knew early last year the Justice precinct was a financial disaster
- Electric vehicle owners not experiencing range anxiety says Flip the Fleet
- Congress throws up potential roadblock for Eroad in the US
- Sensible or shambolic? The government's immigration U-turn
- Sky TV offers $20/month deal as competition heats up
Most listened to
- MBM founder Matt Bale discusses Green Party social media strategy
- If Boris is going to buy any more wool from us, it’ll be to try to pull it over our eyes, says Rob Hosking
- Synlait MD John Penno on China's regulatory and food safety systems
- Eroad boss Steven Newman on being caught in political crossfire in the US
- Sportsmen may soon be surging onto the NBR Rich List, says Eric Young
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended July 21, with Grant Walker