The New York Police Department is investigating, and the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner is working to determine the exact cause of death, the Journal says.
The paper quotes an un-named law-enforcement official who says Mr Hoffman was found dead at his apartment in the West Village neighborhood of Manhattan.
The actor was found in the bathroom of his fourth floor apartment in the Pickwick House around 11:15 a.m. by a screenwriter, who called 911, the official said.
Mr. Hoffman won the Academy Award for Best Actor for the 2005 film, "Capote." His other films include "Boogie Nights," "The Big Lebowski", "Magnolia" and the "Hunger Games" franchise.
The latest installment of the "Hunger Games" series is in post-production.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Order Paper: Rob Hosking on good intentions, political correctness and social investment
- Levante S is the ultimate Maserati SUV… and it’s coming to NZ
- Is Pence poised to dump Trump? asks Michael Coote
- Michael Wigley on the rising cybersecurity challenges for boards; the risks for directors; and how to deal with them
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended May 26, with Grant Walker