USave.co.nz, which launched in March, has launched a fresh PR campaign today, figuring it can cash in on publicity generated by more recent Trade Me rivals.
Every budding auction site has an angle. In Usave's case, its chief selling point is that it gives 50% of its sales commission to a shopper or seller’s chosen charity. Money from a sale can also be donated to a school, church or social club.
“If Wheedle and listselltrade show any success it will convince the public that TradeMe can be taken on," Usave director Brett Ashmore says.
Wheedle, which has been offline for a week and a half, is still some distance from meeting conventional measures of success.
Listselltrade launched Monday, to an immediate security gaffe, after two aborted attempts last week.
Like another Trade Me rival, Geta, Usave says its looking for investors.
USave says it has 100 merchants signed up, listing close to 30,000 products. The site also features a "Garage Sale" auction section. Members have contributed 620 Likes to the site's Facebook page.
The company did not immediately respond to NBR queries about its number of members, and financial performance [UPDATE: A spokeswoman told NBR the site has 37,000 members. She would not reveal financials but claimed the site would be "profitable in year one."]
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Commissioner wants to raise retirement age to 67, Goldsmith disagrees
- NZ dollar falls as ECB comments help lift greenback
- OPINION: Self-regulation just creates a closed shop
- Digital media and kids: how much is too much?
- Carry on: Singapore gets 10,000th Airbus, China Southern's B787-9 order and more
Most listened to
- Sunday Business Episode 34 featuring Hayden Cox
- Matthew Hooton on what a National win in Mt Roskill could mean for Labour
- Tim Hunter on Sky's awkward Chinese problem
- Paul Goldsmith's attempt at insolvency law reform has been hijacked by a 'basked of deplorables' says Damien Grant
- Business Week in Review with Grant Walker & Andrew Patterson