Auckland will again host Volvo Ocean Race stopovers in 2015 and 2018, it has been announced today.
Auckland Council's tourism, events and economic development arm held a briefing on the waterfront this morning, where it confirmed the city will be a stopover for two future events.
Auckland was a host city in last year's race, which generated bout $6.3 million in GDP and saw an estimated 270,000 people visit Queens Wharf during the stopover.
The race is held every three years, taking place over a nine month period which includes stopovers at various ports for boat maintenance and rest for the crews.
Economic Development Minister Steven Joyce says the government's major events development fund will invest $1.5 million for each of the stopovers, which will both generate about $7.4 million in GDP.
The 15-day stopovers are expected to attract nearly 1900 international visitors each year.
"These events provide a platform to leverage benefits for New Zealand, particularly for New Zealand's marine sector.
"The marine industry has $1.7 billion in annual turnover, produces $650 million in exports each year and employs 9000 full-time staff.
"The Volvo Ocean Race stopovers provide a great opportunity to showcase the sector's expertise internationally," Mr Joyce says,
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Lawyer Adina Thorn discusses her decision to launch a class action against Carter Holt Harvey over its Shadowclad product
- Westpac senior economist Satish Ranchhod says student inflows continue to be a big driver of growth
- Volpara chief executive Ralph Highnam on his company's $9.6m loss and fast-growing revenue
- NBR's Jenny Ruth on what analysts are saying about Ebos' $A154m HPS purchase
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended May 26, with Grant Walker