“Hon Dr Robert Fisher, QC, has confirmed the report by former judge Justice Ian Binnie, QC, is flawed and would not withstand scrutiny," Justice Minister Judith Collins says.
“Mr Bain has asked the Government, on behalf of New Zealanders, to consider his claim for compensation.
“It would be unacceptable to me and unfair for New Zealand generally and for Mr Bain, to take a recommendation to Cabinet for compensation based on a flawed report.
“Given the high level of public and media interest in this issue, and to respond to Mr Bain’s supporters and Mr Binnie’s calls to release the reports, I have decided to make both reports public.
"I think this is also important in the interests of transparency of process,” Ms Collins says.
More to come.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Sunday Businiess with Andrew Patterson featuring Dr Clyde Smith
- Forsyth Barr’s Kevin Stirrat talks through the market reaction to the new government
- Iron Duke director Phil O'Reilly on how concerned businesses should be about the new Labour-led government
- New Sky TV NZ director Mike Darcey on the skills he brings from Sky UK, and what it's like working for Rupert Murdoch
- NBR Radio: The best interviews, with Grant Walker — updated daily