“Hon Dr Robert Fisher, QC, has confirmed the report by former judge Justice Ian Binnie, QC, is flawed and would not withstand scrutiny," Justice Minister Judith Collins says.
“Mr Bain has asked the Government, on behalf of New Zealanders, to consider his claim for compensation.
“It would be unacceptable to me and unfair for New Zealand generally and for Mr Bain, to take a recommendation to Cabinet for compensation based on a flawed report.
“Given the high level of public and media interest in this issue, and to respond to Mr Bain’s supporters and Mr Binnie’s calls to release the reports, I have decided to make both reports public.
"I think this is also important in the interests of transparency of process,” Ms Collins says.
More to come.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- RNZ's Colin Peacock grills NBR publisher Todd Scott about his rising social media profile and a push or 100,000 subs
- Cameron Officer on the brands tailgating Tesla's electric vehicles
- Tim Hunter discusses why Christchurch-based cryptocurrency exchange Cryptopia could face a class action
- Intelligence expert Paul Buchanan discusses Pacific Aerospace
- NBR Radio: The best interviews – updated daily, with Grant Walker