“Hon Dr Robert Fisher, QC, has confirmed the report by former judge Justice Ian Binnie, QC, is flawed and would not withstand scrutiny," Justice Minister Judith Collins says.
“Mr Bain has asked the Government, on behalf of New Zealanders, to consider his claim for compensation.
“It would be unacceptable to me and unfair for New Zealand generally and for Mr Bain, to take a recommendation to Cabinet for compensation based on a flawed report.
“Given the high level of public and media interest in this issue, and to respond to Mr Bain’s supporters and Mr Binnie’s calls to release the reports, I have decided to make both reports public.
"I think this is also important in the interests of transparency of process,” Ms Collins says.
More to come.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- NZSA CEO Michael Midgley on NZX’s exoneration of Fletcher’s board
- Trade Me's Nigel Jeffries and Property Investors' Federation's Andrew King on the housing rental shortage and rent rises
- SME Leap convenor Tenby Powell on what he hopes the forum will achieve
- Syndex CEO Ross Verry discusses the trading platform's progress
- A2 CEO Geoff Babidge on US expansion and keeping up with demand
- NBR Radio: A year in review, with Grant Walker