BUSINESSDESK: The number of short-term arrivals rose to a seven-year high for the month of June as a flood of Australians and Chinese tourists came to visit last month.
Some 151,100 people came to New Zealand for a short-term visit in June, the most for that month since 2005 when the British and Irish Lions toured the nation, Statistics New Zealand says.
That was 15 % more than in June last year, when flights were cancelled by the Chilean volcanic ash cloud. Annual short-term arrivals rose 5.4% to 2.6 million from a year earlier.
The increase was led by a 25% gain in the number of Australian visitors to 64,800, of which 29% were Kiwis living across the Tasman, and a 7.4% rise in the number of Chinese tourists to 6700.
The figures come after national carrier Air New Zealand chief executive Rob Fyfe this week told MPs not enough is being done to promote the country as an attractive destination.
The tourism sector has been in the doldrums since the global financial crisis in 2008, when financial markets collapsed and oil prices surged, causing widespread unemployment and eroding people's discretionary spending on long-haul travel.
New Zealanders continued to quit the country for Australia in June, with 1029 more people leaving than arriving.
There was a net outflow of 1029 migrants in June, smaller than 1491 a year earlier, taking the annual outflow to 3191, turning around an inflow of 3867.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Sky, TVNZ bosses spar over America’s Cup 2020 rights
- Tower board backs increased Vero takeover
- Law at war: Vice chancellor unleashes wrath on law school staff
- Regatta win strengthens Southern Spars’ grip on yacht market
- Tourism Minister Bennett appoints infrastructure fund panel chaired by Judy Kirk
Most listened to
- Chapman Tripp partner Rachel Dunne says the NZX has failed in its goal to attract small sized issuers to the public markets
- Tegel CEO Phil Hand on pricing, an Australian launch and the outlook
- John Fellet and Kevin Kenrick offer differing accounts of the America's Cup 2017 rights battle, and look ahead to 2020
- NZ Marine executive director Peter Busfield says winning the Cup back could drawn in an extra 60 superyachts per year
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended June 23, with Grant Walker