Collins investigates minimum alcohol price

First crushing cars, now crushing cider? Justice Minister Judith Collins

Justice Minister Judith Collins is investigating a minimum price for alcohol.

"I’ve got the Ministry of Justice looking at a minimum price regime - where it’s in place and does it make the difference that people tell me it would?," Ms Collins said on TV One's Q+A this morning.

"But I can also point out to you that the hospitality industry supports a minimum price because it would drive more people into drinking in their establishments rather than drinking at home," she added.

50% tax increase?
The minister also opened the door to future alcohol excise tax increases.

Asked if she would like to see more tax, the minister replied,  "Well, it’s something that we’ll look at in the future."

When interviewer Shane Taurima raised a Law Commission recommendation that the government increase the excise tax on alcohol by 50%, Mr Collins said, "Well, that’s something we might do in the future."

"That’s something we might do in the future," she told interviewer Shane Taurima.

"But I also think that you need to look at the fact that we are not trying to actually stop all alcohol sales in this country. This is not like tobacco," she added.

Warning labels
Ms Collins said work was also going on to access health warnings on bottles of alcohol.

Asked if she supported such warnings, the minister responded, "Well, I think it’s not an unreasonable call. I just bear in mind that often these warnings can easily be overlooked because the person who’s pouring the drink isn’t necessarily the person who’s drinking the drink."

Okay with TV ads
The minister was also open to health warnings on alcohol ads and said she would establish an expert panel to offer advice. But she was not opposed to alcohol ads on TV.

"How many 18-year-olds are sitting round watching our mainstream TV stations and getting their ads off them?" she asked, adding: "Actually, the fact is it’s good marketing. But it’s not necessarily driving people to alcohol. But I’ve never drunk a Tui product. Having said that, I do enjoy their ads. I think they’re funny."

She said she was also okay with alcohol sponsorship of concerts, sports and clubs, but not with promotions targeting teens.

Will vote for split age
Ms Collins said she would vote for a split 18-20 drinking age, which she predicted would pass narrowly.

It would be “more efficient” to have party votes on alcohol purchase age, rather than conscience vote, she said.

RAW DATA: Watch Judith Collins on Q+A

22 · Got a question about this story? Leave it in Comments & Questions below.

Is there one single editorial in the MSM making the principled argument against such National Socialism? A tax on choice is a fundamental attack on freedom. Taxes were never supposed to be about influencing life choices:

Get a life. Taxes have been used to influence peoples choices since time began and will be used 'til time ends. Get used to it.

Oh, so we just get used to living in the police state? Okay all-knowing one.

I'd rather opt out, but of course I can't. My life remains in the hands of the slavers, and their willing slaves.

Hey, watch out John, there's a principle over there: careful, you might trip over it.

We'd all rather you opted out Mr Hubbard, that way we wouldn't need to listen to your incessant Libertarian whining. Why dont you and your 3 mates do a Tamaki and go and found a new Randite cite somewhere south of Gore?

"South of Gore" what are you? Don't you mean down-town Auckland?

To the anonymous - cowardly - wowser and compulsion touter: <a href="http://lifebehindtheirondrape.blogspot.co.nz/2012/05/food-czars-new-york... my update 2</a>.

LOL Mr Hubbard - why would anyone read one of your 'updates'. Perhaps one of your 3 mates but no-one else. Stop using the NBR as a platform to promulgate your filth.

As my using NBR to promote my 'filth', annoys anonymous so much, I've gone for the double whammy of including his (women aren't usually this stupid) vacant mind in a blog post, which I'll now <a href="http://lifebehindtheirondrape.blogspot.co.nz/2012/06/death-of-classical-... promote here</a> - promotion being a two-way street.

It's called personal responsibility Mark.
Something you so called "libertarians" only recognise one aspect of. That is the aspect where it affects you personally (the me me syndrome). You do not consider the effect of your filthy and irresponsible behaviour on others.
So I say yes to a tax on alcohol purchase price, (and I hate taxes) and yes to a tax, and a flogging, for being drunk in a public place.
Will it happen? No. Why not? Because of the whining self righteous set, that pass their selfish me me behaviour off as "libertarian".
They are not "libertarian" they are simply selfish ill-behaved losers that pretend respectability.

Nearly every country that decreased the drinking age couldnt wait to get it back up again.
Theft, assault, teenage pregnancy, road toll,police workload all took a massive increase.
Listen to the police, the doctors and parents beside themselves with concern over their siblings.
Real leadership would have sorted this out a long time ago. Get the age back to 20 and .get the alcohol out of supermarkets and stores. !8 year olds do not have the maturity to handle liquor and they are not old enough to vote. That of course is the real issue.

Make RTD's illegal.

Wait - why is a supposedly conservative politician promoting a minimum price for anything? Does she not understand how free markets work?

John, why do you think we have teenagers with no sense of self responsibility that conduct this ludicrous behaviour? Excise taxes that destroy my responsible enjoyment of alcohol merely treat a symptom, not the cause.

Mark? What do you call the tax on tobacco?
Teenagers ARE targeted with cheap alcohol and it is destroying their lives. (and sometimes killing them) If the State and so called "libertarians" insist the parents can't smack them, then the consequences of it is the States responsibility. End of story.

I'm not against spanking: Libertarians believe a child's upbringing is the responsibility of the parents, not Sue Bradford. Indeed, one of the worst things the Welfare state does, is it destroys the natural love and affection within families, and, thus, discipline. Which brings me back to teenage drinking. Gotta go, gardening ... But perhaps you need to rebook at your views on Libertarians ... It's a very wide 'church'.

It ain't no church, not even a poorly attented one. Its got 'cult' written all over it.

No, now you've mixed up with your play school debate against Objectivism, not Libertarianism, which is merely a loose grouping of classical liberals, with the non-initiation of (state) force principle in common. And that doesn't preclude spanking. Your state schooling seems to be letting you down, as to how to argue your case.

Now I really am off to the bliss of my vege patch.

John, above post to you. Sorry for typos ... IPad. And to the wowser, NBR have the right to kick my posts, just as you have to ignore them. It's called the peaceful, voluntary society. The opposite to what you and your ilk have voted in.

Just more pathetic procrastination. the problems are obvious and the solutions are more obvious.
Its JK counting votes thats the real issue

So, if there is a minimum price I can see increased profits for retailers but that is about all.

Perhaps this is a sign that govt is at long last starting to take some positive steps to address our massive alcohol problem.
Let's hope that they have the spine to see it through to actually improve the situation!
WG

In part but not far enoug, To Judith , its not the 18 year olds watching the adverts its the 8 year olds and that s even more worrying. While working with primary school children I asked what they know about alcohol and got back verbatim many current television adverts. This forms a very large part of normalising alcohol in our lives and needs changing.

JPY 82.4590 -0.0760 -0.09%