BUSINESSDESK: Comvita shares rose 2.7% to a five-year high of $3.80 after details of the results of medical research, yet to be peer reviewed, shows its olive leaf extract boosts the effectiveness of insulin in overweight, middle-aged men at risk of diabetes.
Undertaken by the Liggins Institute, a medical research centre of at the University of Auckland, the research examined "a range of complex health outcomes, including insulin responses among those trial participants who took fresh olive leaf extract for 12 weeks".
The research project concluded that the fresh olive leaf extract "improves the way insulin is secreted and works in overweight men", the company says in a statement to the NZX.
The research has been submitted to an unnamed "highly prestigious, international medical journal".
Detailed comment on the research is prohibited by the requirements of the peer review process, which the research must pass to be published.
Using 45 overweight men with an average age of 46.6, the trial found taking the extract "was associated with a 15% improvement in insulin action and a 28% improvement in insulin secretion".
It found no significant changes in other areas tested, including "lipid profile, ambulatory blood pressure, body composition, carotid intimal thickness, or parameters of liver function".
Comvita last year saw off a takeover bid from Cerebos Greggs, a global food manufacturer, pitched at $2.50 a share, which was rejected by directors, who put a value range of $3.40 and $4 a share.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Massey University's David Tripe on why CBA is selling its life businesses at a loss
- As much as the leaders will bask in a win, they will both face challenges as prime minister, comments Rob Hosking
- Fisheries Inshore NZ chief executive Jeremy Helson says many in the industry have concerns about new fishing regulations
- Perry Group chairman Simon Perry explains why Hamilton needs a $1 billion development in a disused quarry
- Jacinda Ardern has sure been talked up a lot by the media, claims David Cohen
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended September 15, with Grant Walker