High Court Justice Lester Chisholm has ordered Anglican authorities to halt further demolition work on Christ Church Cathedral.
The judicial review was taken by the Great Christchurch Buildings Trust chaired by Rich Lister and former MP Phillip Burdon, and ex-MP Jim Anderton.
They alleged that plans to demolish the cathedral breached the Act of Parliament which protects it.
Justice Chisholm ordered that the Anglican Church Property Trust must rebuild on the site.
But he also ruled that the church was not required to build a replica.
The result is likely to be a mix of a partly restored old cathedral with new elements.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Sky TV boss John Fellet says he's happy to sign a contract with Spark
- NZ Shareholders Association chairman John Hawkins says all shareholders should question rising executive pay
- Hobson Wealth’s James Grigor on how Air NZ can deal to competition
- Westpac's Sarah Drought says the usually dry Summer months have feared will for dairy farmers, due to a wet Spring
- Summerset's Julian Cook discusses his growth plans