High Court Justice Lester Chisholm has ordered Anglican authorities to halt further demolition work on Christ Church Cathedral.
The judicial review was taken by the Great Christchurch Buildings Trust chaired by Rich Lister and former MP Phillip Burdon, and ex-MP Jim Anderton.
They alleged that plans to demolish the cathedral breached the Act of Parliament which protects it.
Justice Chisholm ordered that the Anglican Church Property Trust must rebuild on the site.
But he also ruled that the church was not required to build a replica.
The result is likely to be a mix of a partly restored old cathedral with new elements.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Lawyer Adina Thorn discusses her decision to launch a class action against Carter Holt Harvey over its Shadowclad product
- Westpac senior economist Satish Ranchhod says student inflows continue to be a big driver of growth
- Volpara chief executive Ralph Highnam on his company's $9.6m loss and fast-growing revenue
- NBR's Jenny Ruth on what analysts are saying about Ebos' $A154m HPS purchase
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended May 26, with Grant Walker