Christchurch's quake-hit Crowne Plaza hotel has slowly disappeared into a pile of rubble over the past five weeks
The high reach "nibbler" tackles the top section.
The Forsyth Barr building seen background in the photo below will also come down. So will the PriceWaterhouseCoopers building just visible to the left.
Work also began this week on demolishing the Anglican cathedral tower in Cathedral Square, to the dismay of heritage aficionados.
Click any image to enlarge; all photos by Chris Hutching.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Hidesight: Advance means retreat for glacier scientists
- Hooton: Racism lies behind Little’s kaupapa Maori attack
- Spark boss ditches *another* Sky decoder
- Carry on: Xiamen for Auckland, Cathay for Christchurch, Virgin for HK and more
- Hunter's Corner: Sealegs: an underperforming marine technology innovator
Most listened to
- Business Week in Review with Grant Walker and Andrew Patterson
- Rob Hosking on the politics of protest vs the politics of government
- Rodney Hide: Advance means retreat for glacier scientists
- Stewart Germann and Gehan Gunasekara go head-to-head on the franchising debate
- Racism lies behind Little’s kaupapa Maori attack, says Matthew Hooton