Christchurch's quake-hit Crowne Plaza hotel has slowly disappeared into a pile of rubble over the past five weeks
The high reach "nibbler" tackles the top section.
The Forsyth Barr building seen background in the photo below will also come down. So will the PriceWaterhouseCoopers building just visible to the left.
Work also began this week on demolishing the Anglican cathedral tower in Cathedral Square, to the dismay of heritage aficionados.
Click any image to enlarge; all photos by Chris Hutching.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Rob Hosking does not think it's good enough the Budget has left out reduced taxation on savings
- Tim Hunter finds unsavoury flavour in the Nosh deal
- Todd McClay is doing an incredible job as trade minister, to the surprise of Matthew Hooton
- Property Institute chief Ashley Church explains why the budget is underwhelming
- Peter Biggs on why WREDA's looking for another chief executive
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended May 19, with Grant Walker