While Kim Dotcom continues to make headlines relating to the John Banks donation scandal, he is still fighting a court battle over property police seized from his home earlier this year.
Lawyers for the alleged internet pirate were in Auckland High Court this morning, attempting to reclaim some of the many computers taken when police raided his Coatesville home north of Auckland in January.
Ahead of the brief court proceeding, Paul Davison, QC, said the search warrant gave police rights to seize digital data storage items if they were relevant to the charges brought against Mr Dotcom.
But police took everything that contained data, including the computer that operates the swimming pool heating and CCTV footage from security cameras, said Mr Davison.
"The warrant was unlawful because it was overly broad, and did not distinguish between items that were relevant to the charges, and those that weren't."
Mr Dotcom wanted the computers returned so he can prepare his defence against the bigger court battle to come.
He is on bail awaiting a hearing on an extradition order sought by United States authorities.
The application about today's matters - to have the computers returned - will be heard later this month.
Meanwhile, Mr Dotcom has revealed Act leader John Banks asked him to split a $50,000 donation to his SuperCity mayoral campaign into two half-payments, so he would not have to say where the money came from.
Mr Banks maintains he did not know Mt Dotcom had made the donation.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- As much as the leaders will bask in a win, they will both face challenges as prime minister, comments Rob Hosking
- Perry Group chairman Simon Perry explains why Hamilton needs a $1 billion development in a disused quarry
- NBR's Jenny Ruth on Fletcher Building hiring another auditor
- Rodney Hide explains why tax is theft
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended September 15, with Grant Walker