The timetable for the Earthquake Commission’s flood plain modelling of Christchurch has been pushed out to May.
The information was provided to NBR after a request about progress late last week.
The flood modelling was initiated in June 2013 with an expected completion date of March.
The purpose is to determine the best flood remediation and specific foundation repairs for directly affected properties.
EQC estimates there are 309 homes in this Increased Flooding Vulnerability category and their earthquake repairs have been placed on hold.
Many more homes may be identified after yesterday's floods.
EQC says it has contacted the 309 homeowners and reassessed their properties.
“EQC will also offer them a choice about whether they would like to have their property repaired through the repair programme ahead of the confirmation of their land damage; receive a cash settlement and manage their own repairs; or remain on hold within the CHRP programme until such time as their land damage has been confirmed and they can make a more informed choice,” EQC says in a media statement.
However, many questions remain such as the total number of properties now at risk of regular flooding, if more areas will be red zoned or protected, and if large number of homes have been inadequately repaired already.
The city has dropped on average about 20cm with some areas more and less.
Even within the most flood prone areas there are some earthquake-damaged properties that are high and dry but they are caught up in repair delays because of the Increased Flooding Vulnerability category.
Today the floods have subsided in most places and sunny weather has returned.
Earthquake Recovery minister Gerry Brownlee and Mayor Lianne Dalziel toured flood affected areas.
In Parliament yesterday Mr Brownlee apologised for his attacks on Labour MPs the day before.
He says EQC misled him about the number of vulnerable elderly people still awaiting decisions about their earthquake-damaged properties.
EQC had told him there were just five cases but it transpires there were at least 85 cases that had been officially brought to the attention of EQC.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Xero makes a special alteration to rival's billboard
- Xero wins plaudits for artificial intelligence product suite with revenue potential
- Snowball appoints head of growth capital
- Biz Dojo expands its Wellington presence; eyes offshore
- Three fintech start-ups pitch for funds at end of Kiwibank-sponsored accelerator
Most listened to
- Business leaders on Budget 2017: Failure to set up any significant public-private partnerships for infrastructure is "really disappointing," says Paul Glass
- Serko’s Darrin Grafton says the company can use its SME platform to expand globally
- Trump travels overseas selling jobs as North Korea continues to lash out, on Trump’s Beltway with Nathan Smith
- Nick Shewring says co-working attracts "awesome people doing cool things"
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended May 19, with Grant Walker