Facebook has finally found a new head for its Australia-New Zealand operation, based in Sydney.
He is William Easton, poached from Google Asia-Pacific where he was head of mobile and social.
The Facebook position had been open since February.
News of Mr Easton's appointment was broken by the AFR, and confirmed to NBR by Facebook Australia-New Zealand communications and policy manager Mia Garlick (another Google alumnus).
The English-born and educated Mr Easton worked for Coca Cola in the UK as a sales manager before taking on a range of sales and marketing positions for Microsoft, first in the UK then Australia.
Facebook's NZ opertion recently reported an $81,000 loss on revenue of $427,000.
However, like other companies including Google, the social network bills some local revenue to its subsidiary in Ireland, where the corporate tax rate is lower.
The results may not tell the full story, say industry analysts. Draft FCB managing director of media operations Derek Lindsay says his estimate of Facebook's total revenue from New Zealand would be "significantly more than $400,000".
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Order Paper: Rob Hosking on good intentions, political correctness and social investment
- Levante S is the ultimate Maserati SUV… and it’s coming to NZ
- Is Pence poised to dump Trump? asks Michael Coote
- Michael Wigley on the rising cybersecurity challenges for boards; the risks for directors; and how to deal with them
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended May 26, with Grant Walker