Fairfax Media [ASX: FXJ] has reached agreement with rival APN News & Media [ASX: APN] to have newspapers including The Waikato Times, Sunday Star-Times, Sunday News and some community titles printed at APN's modernised print facility at Ellerslie in Auckland.
The deal would allow APN to use spare capacity at the printing facility and help the publisher of the New Zealand Herald wring out cost savings, APN chief executive Michael Miller said.
The Australian company is on track to achieve a further A$20 million in cost savings across its publishing businesses this year, having trimmed A$40 million in 2013 from changes that included consolidating printing of a number of its own titles at Ellerslie, he said.
He said discussions with Fairfax had been "very positive" and the two publishers share "optimism for the ongoing viability of printed newspapers."
Fairfax CEO Greg Hywood said sharing a print site with a rival was "fairly common practice in overseas markets."
"In this instance we boost our print capacity in the upper North Island market without the need for significant capital investment and gain significant benefits from the additional scale and efficiencies," Hywood said in a statement to the ASX.
The agreement would see the printing work shifted from Fairfax's own facilities in Auckland and Hamilton, leaving a question mark over their future.
A Fairfax spokesman said the company's focus is on consultation with staff and no further comment would be made until that was concluded.
Fairfax shares last traded at 92.5 Australian cents on the ASX and have gained 45 percent this year. APN was last at 80 Australian cents, and has jumped 90 percent this year.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Lawyer Adina Thorn discusses her decision to launch a class action against Carter Holt Harvey over its Shadowclad product
- FMA's Rob Everett says confidence in capital markets is increasing
- NBR's Rob Hosking says housing and debt are the two things people haven't grasped about Budget 2017
- FNZC's John Norling on last week's star stocks and this week's outlook
- RedShield founder explains what makes his cyber service so attractive to Fortune 500 companies
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended May 26, with Grant Walker