Gen-i jumps on cloud bandwagon

Cloud computing is set to become a billion dollar industry in New Zealand and Australia by 2013, global market researcher IDC claims.

Due to this growing market, systems integrator Gen-i announced the launch of its cloud computing strategy today. Gen-i said the cloud solutions would integrate with a company's existing ICT infrastructure to ensure customers get the best out of their existing assets and new cloud opportunities.

Gen-i also released details on its infrastructure as a service (IaaS) portfolio of solutions that provide users with leveraged virtual servers, storage, networking and desktops.

Gen-i chief executive Chris Quin said the company was investing in existing services, as well as adding new capabilities to increase the functionality of its offerings. “Gen-i is absolutely dependent on New Zealand and Australia being successful in this area, which is why we are 100% committed to getting it right first time, on time,” Mr Quin said.
“We help clients move along the technology continuum at the speed and route that best suits their business needs, wherever they are starting with a DIY approach, outsourced or fully hosted service.

"We predict that around 25% of new ICT services will be delivered via the cloud in the future, with the remaining 75% continuing to be deployed either in-house or outsourced to providers, such as Gen-i.
“Of course, the complexity will still exist - and that’s exactly where our focus lies. We advise on the best solutions, managing the complexity to provide a simple and integrated user experience. Our proven capability in integrating network delivered services with on-site infrastructure will ensure our clients get the best out of their existing assets and new cloud opportunities,” Mr Quin said.

The new strategy will be available throughout Australasia.

4 · Got a question about this story? Leave it in Comments & Questions below.

This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags

Post Comment

4 Comments & Questions

Commenter icon key: Subscriber Verified

Wait till one of these clouds fails, is corrupted, or the provider goes belly up. Rain in the form of tears will be rolling down.
There must be an ability to run these sytems on your own computer from regular back up's or you are leaving a lot of faith in computer providers!!

  • 0
  • 0

This article is about fairytale called a cloud. People without technical knowledge think cloud resolves all issues in their lifes. Everything will come from the cloud. At present, they are searching for someone else to provide that for Gen-i to just resell the service. They have a monster called Iron Port on a robust platform sitting in their datacentres for ages and serving almost no clients. They also have many similar sistems sitting in their datacentres doing nothing. Mr Quin, let me reveal this for you: You already have several clauds in your datacentres. They've been there for years. But you did not find use for them. Gen-i also makes almost no money (3% profit). They are very close to the edge. because their non-technical staff on high possitions belive in clouds... Talk to the guy called Steve McGinn for a few moments and you will know how screwed Gen-i is.

  • 0
  • 0

Can't say that I share the same degree of cynicism as the previous posts on this topic. Gen-i is simply responding to not just what their customers are telling them but the direction of IT trends around the globe. A cloud based solution may not meet the requirements of every NZ and Aus based Enterprise but it will be of interest to a few. The question is: will the take-up be sufficient to warrant Gen-I's ongoing investment. If they've got literally shed loads of kit that will do the job then great, the costs are already sunk and now the assets can be sweated. I for one will be following this with interest...

  • 0
  • 0

If this is to ever actually work in New Zealand, then the Broadband costs must come right down - and that the overall speed is of Broadband becomes improved somewhat...

  • 0
  • 0

Post New comment or question

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

NZ Market Snapshot


Sym Price Change
USD 0.6952 0.0000 0.00%
AUD 0.8901 0.0000 0.00%
EUR 0.5907 0.0000 0.00%
GBP 0.5276 0.0000 0.00%
HKD 5.4294 0.0000 0.00%
JPY 78.9230 0.0000 0.00%


Commodity Price Change Time
Gold Index 1278.6 -9.430 2017-10-20T00:
Oil Brent 57.8 0.550 2017-10-20T00:
Oil Nymex 51.9 0.580 2017-10-20T00:
Silver Index 17.0 -0.177 2017-10-20T00:


Symbol Open High Last %
NZX 50 8124.1 8142.3 8124.1 0.07%
NASDAQ 6633.4 6640.0 6605.1 0.36%
DAX 13057.8 13063.6 12990.1 0.01%
DJI 23205.2 23328.8 23163.0 0.71%
FTSE 7523.0 7560.0 7523.0 0.00%
HKSE 28360.0 28519.8 28159.1 1.17%
NI225 21391.0 21489.3 21448.5 0.04%
ASX 5896.1 5924.9 5896.1 0.17%