Google is back online after a massive outage that took out services from its home page to Gmail in the US, China and Australia. [UPDATE: Google has now issued an explanation.]
The outage - which quickly became known as #googlefail - as Twitter users relayed the news - lasted from about to about 2.45am to 4.20am NZ time this morning - or 10:45am to about 12:20pm EDT in the US, smack in the middle of people’s internet day.
With its own site down for many users, and very slow for others, Google used its corporate Twitter account to relay service updates.
During February Google extended Google Apps’ users 12-month licenses with 15 bonus days after an outage violated the company’s new uptime guarantee.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- It’s "odd" StuffMe applicants are "so sensitive about anonymous submissions," says competition lawyer Andy Glenie
- Andrew Little, James Shaw, Steven Joyce and Bill English all weigh in on how good the budget was for Kiwi businesses
- Rob Hosking does not think it's good enough the Budget has left out reduced taxation on savings
- Lawyers are playing musical chairs in this week's Briefcase with John Bowie
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended May 26, with Grant Walker