Google is back online after a massive outage that took out services from its home page to Gmail in the US, China and Australia. [UPDATE: Google has now issued an explanation.]
The outage - which quickly became known as #googlefail - as Twitter users relayed the news - lasted from about to about 2.45am to 4.20am NZ time this morning - or 10:45am to about 12:20pm EDT in the US, smack in the middle of people’s internet day.
With its own site down for many users, and very slow for others, Google used its corporate Twitter account to relay service updates.
During February Google extended Google Apps’ users 12-month licenses with 15 bonus days after an outage violated the company’s new uptime guarantee.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Sunday Businiess with Andrew Patterson featuring Dr Clyde Smith
- Forsyth Barr’s Kevin Stirrat talks through the market reaction to the new government
- Iron Duke director Phil O'Reilly on how concerned businesses should be about the new Labour-led government
- New Sky TV NZ director Mike Darcey on the skills he brings from Sky UK, and what it's like working for Rupert Murdoch
- NBR Radio: The best interviews, with Grant Walker — updated daily