In a bid to develop businesses abroad and drive exports and investment, a new UK Minister of State for Trade and Investment has been appointed today by British Prime Minister David Cameron.
Stephen Green will stand down as the chairman of HSBC and will take up his new ministerial role, which is unpaid, in early 2011.
Mr Green has extensive international experience having worked in Hong Kong, New York, the Middle East and London.
A statement from Number 10 Downing Street said the appointment demonstrates the British Government’s plans to strengthen and expand its international relationships.
“Working across the Department for Business and the Foreign Office, this role reflects the enormous importance this Government places on forging strong international relationships to open new trade links, promote British business overseas and maximise inward investment to the UK,” Prime Minister David Cameron said.
Stephen Green said it was an honour to accept this new role.
“In an increasingly competitive and international world, trade and investment are ever more critical to Britain's economic success and I am delighted to be joining the Government at this exciting and challenging time."
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Nats baulking over Winston Peters' demand for more ministers
- Vodafone IPO pushed back amid election delay, sources say
- As Amazon looms, survey reveals Kiwis online vs offline buying preferences
- NZSA says Fletcher Building is performing worse now than 10 years ago
- Winston says he's inching closer to a decision
Most listened to
- IDC's Chayse Gorton on Kiwis' online vs offline shopping preference - and how it's out of step with the rest of the world
- NZSA chief executive Michael Midgley on how he will vote undirected Fletcher proxies
- Restaurant Brands' Grant Ellis discusses progress at the fast food group
- Rob Hosking says politicians need to understand the effect their promises will have on what the Reserve Bank has to do
- AMP Capital investment manager Jonathan Armstrong discusses why an expansion is right for Tauranga's Bayfair shopping centre
- NBR Radio: The best interviews, with Grant Walker — updated daily