Budget airline JetStar is to trial Apple iPads on a number of its Australian domestic routes this month.
The iPads will provide in-flight entertainment with movies, TV programs, e-books, music videos, games and CDs - as long as a passenger shells out $A10 to "rent" one of the tablets.
Jetstar passengers can pay just $A10 to rent the iPad on board.
At Jetstar rep told NBR that if the trial is successful, the airline will look at rolling it out on transtasman flights our of Auckland Christchurch, and New Zealand domestic routes where flight time is more than one hour.
Apple announced overnight that it had sold 2 million iPads since the tablet's launch under two months ago, and that it was on track to sell 7.6 million for the year.
The iPad was released in Australia over the weekend, and is due to land in New Zealand some time in July.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Business Week in Review with Grant Walker & Andrew Patterson
- Bernard Hickey on why immigration is so hard to control
- There's fear and excitement in cabinet ahead of Key's next reshuffle, says Rodney Hide
- Rob Hosking: Key slips into election mode
- Michael Coote on the economic problems Trump is causing for the Republican Party