July date set for Banks re-trial

Defence banking on new evidence of US businessmen.

John Banks’ second trial on charges of failing to declare electoral donations during his unsuccessful 2010 Auckland mayoralty campaign has been set down for July 6.

The former ACT leader was convicted in August last year for failing to declare two $25,000 donations from internet entrepreneur/accused copyright pirate/retired political gadfly Kim Dotcom.

Mr Banks took his case to the Court of Appeal, citing new evidence from two businessmen allegedly at a lunch at which Mr Dotcom and his now-estranged wife Mona said the donations were discussed.

American businessmen David Schaeffer and Jeffery Karnes said donations were not discussed and the appeal court found their evidence could have affected the outcome of the case.

As a result, the conviction was overturned and the re-trial ordered.

10 comments
Login in or Register to view & post comments