Kiwifruit should be a consumer’s first choice when boosting fresh fruit and vegetable intake, Zespri says.
New international research shows even a recommended dietary intake of fruits and vegetables can result in vitamin C levels well below optimum, if the foods eaten do not include a high vitamin C source.
The report suggests food sources with high vitamin C content, such as kiwifruit, should be the cornerstone of a healthy diet.
The research reveals a single kiwifruit each day achieves “healthy” vitamin C levels, while two kiwifruit a day ensure “optimal” vitamin C levels, a report in the Journal of Nutritional Science says.
The lead research author, Associate Professor Margreet Vissers of the University of Otago, says most other fruit and vegetables contain much less vitamin C per serve, whereas one kiwifruit delivers the full recommended daily allowance and will contribute more vitamin C than an orange.
“Vitamin C is an essential nutrient which is critical for maintaining many aspects of our health and kiwifruit is an outstanding source of dietary vitamin C,” she says.
“Our study shows, quite simply, that 5+ A Day will not deliver adequate vitamin C unless at least one of those sources is a high-value food like kiwifruit.
"Therefore, when selecting your 5+ A Day, kiwifruit should be the first fruit on your list.”
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- World's best airlines, airports; Cathay's upgrade bidding and more
- NZ Rugby flexes its muscles with AllBlacksTV.com
- Bad buzz plagues Ngāi Tahu honey venture as private equity circles
- MARKET CLOSE: NZ shares rise on first day of trading with Ardern as PM-elect
- 'Geostorm' movie shows dangers of hacking the climate – we need to talk about real-world geoengineering now
Most listened to
- Scales Corp CEO Andy Borland assesses likely immigration cuts
- Forsyth Barr’s Kevin Stirrat talks through the market reaction to the new government
- Iron Duke director Phil O'Reilly on how concerned businesses should be about the new Labour-led government
- New Sky TV NZ director Mike Darcey on the skills he brings from Sky UK, and what it's like working for Rupert Murdoch
- Nevil Gibson's back on Wall Street's darkest day and what has happened since
- NBR Radio: The best interviews, with Grant Walker — updated daily