Mr Milne was formerly Jim Anderton’s Mayoral Campaign Manager and worked for Labour MP Tim Barnett when he held the seat between 2003 to 2008.
The former Labour Youth Vice President, stood for the party in Rakaia in 2002 and 2005, getting thumped by National's Brian Connell on both occasions.
In the safe Whangarei seat, National selected Shane Reti ahead of incumbent List MP Paul Foster-Bell. Mr Reti worked in general practice in Whangarei for 17 years, and was a member of the Northland District Health Board for seven years, before being awarded a Harkness Fellowship to Harvard, in 2007.
Meanwhile, National's Murray McCully has said he has no intention of retiring from the Auckland electorate of East Coast Bays - at times mooted as a possible electorate for Conservative Party leader Colin Craig if National does a deal to help his party.
Yesterday, on TV3's The Nation, Prime Minister John Key said not decisions had been made at this point in regard to a possible accommodation for the Conservatives.
For his part, Mr Craig said would lose East Coast Bays to Mr McCully if the veteran National MP did not stand aside.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Business Week in Review with Grant Walker & Andrew Patterson
- Matthew Hooton on what a National win in Mt Roskill could mean for Labour
- Tim Hunter on Sky's awkward Chinese problem
- Paul Goldsmith's attempt at insolvency law reform has been hijacked by a 'basked of deplorables' says Damien Grant
- First Retail Group's Chris Wilkinson on Pumpkin Patch's worsening situation