Mr Milne was formerly Jim Anderton’s Mayoral Campaign Manager and worked for Labour MP Tim Barnett when he held the seat between 2003 to 2008.
The former Labour Youth Vice President, stood for the party in Rakaia in 2002 and 2005, getting thumped by National's Brian Connell on both occasions.
In the safe Whangarei seat, National selected Shane Reti ahead of incumbent List MP Paul Foster-Bell. Mr Reti worked in general practice in Whangarei for 17 years, and was a member of the Northland District Health Board for seven years, before being awarded a Harkness Fellowship to Harvard, in 2007.
Meanwhile, National's Murray McCully has said he has no intention of retiring from the Auckland electorate of East Coast Bays - at times mooted as a possible electorate for Conservative Party leader Colin Craig if National does a deal to help his party.
Yesterday, on TV3's The Nation, Prime Minister John Key said not decisions had been made at this point in regard to a possible accommodation for the Conservatives.
For his part, Mr Craig said would lose East Coast Bays to Mr McCully if the veteran National MP did not stand aside.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Labour leader Jacinda Ardern joins Simon Dallow in the NBR View studio this morning
- Housing strategist Leonie Freeman discusses the alarmingly low rates of new house builds in Auckland
- Jason Walls canvasses reaction to Labour exploring tax breaks for SME investment
- Synlait managing director John Penno on capacity constraints and supplying China
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended September 15, with Grant Walker