Who could possibly confuse the regal Clare de Lore aka Lady McKinnon with lowly tale-teller Rachel Glucina?
It’s a question taxing the minds of many in Auckland’s chattering classes, thanks to a vile rumour which is currently doing the rounds.
According to the scuttlebutt, Her Ladyship, who is the wife of former Commonwealth secretary general Sir Don McKinnon, was refused entry to Mark Sainsbury’s recent farewell bash at Toto’s in Nelson St.
The two are old mates from their press gallery days, when she was a humble Radio New Zealand reporter.
The story has it that a female flunkey in the employ of TVNZ mistook her for media minx Ms Glucina and forcibly removed her from the premises.
And when TVNZ later discovered, quelle horeur, their monumental mistake, truckloads of flowers were dispatched to Lady C by way of a grovelling apology.
But now it appears this sorry saga is but a fiction which is being deliberately perpetrated by those of mischievous intent.
Clare, Lady McKinnon has told NBR ONLINE she was, indeed, at the party but no one attempted to eject her.
“I was absolutely not refused permission to attend the party.
“Mark is an old friend of mine – I saw him and talked to him.
“The only thing I did was to leave the party early – that’s okay, isn’t it?" she asked.
Of course it is Clare. We are all party poopers from time to time and no one is going to hold that against you.
But who is spreading this monstrous untruth?
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Wynyard: Shareholders Association John Hawkins - shareholders learning a pretty hard lesson
- Lance Wiggs on who's to blame for the Wynyard collapse
- Century 21 boss pleads for a pause on more mortgage lending restrictions
- ‘Idea private sector would provide decent, affordable housing a myth from colonial period on’ – Big Smoke author Ben Schrader
- BNZ's Jason Wong says the consistent message from the US Fed about a likely December cut is pushing the USD up