Former broadcaster Maggie Barry has been selected as the National Party's candidate for the North Shore for the November 26 election.
Currently held by Defence Minister Wayne Mapp, who is retiring at the election, the electorate is a safe National seat.
Ms Barry failed in an attempt to be named National's candidate for the recent Botany by-election.
She said she is looking forward to the opportunity of fighting for the privilege to represent the people of North Shore and would campaign hard, despite the North Shore historically being a strong National seat, and would move into the electorate if elected.
Her entry to politics follows a thirty-year career in broadcasting, best known for her television roles on One News and Maggie’s Garden Show.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Order Paper: Rob Hosking on good intentions, political correctness and social investment
- Levante S is the ultimate Maserati SUV… and it’s coming to NZ
- Is Pence poised to dump Trump? asks Michael Coote
- Michael Wigley on the rising cybersecurity challenges for boards; the risks for directors; and how to deal with them
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended May 26, with Grant Walker