Minister says ACC ICT overhaul will not repeat mistakes of the past

ACC Minister Nikki Kaye talks about upgrading the organisation's ICT. With special audio feature.

Accident Compensation Minister Nikki Kaye has announced a five-year transformation of the ACC Corporation and is promising some big benefits for business as well as for clients of the corporation.

Much of the work is backroom stuff but it will have a major effect on levy payers, she told NBR Radio.

Many of the ACC Corporation’s public problems in recent years – privacy breaches, as well as the less public but still vexing problems for businesses complying with the corporation's processes – are due to old systems, she says.

The "bigger picture" project is making the 90% of minor simple ACC claims less time-consuming for the injured, their employers, as well as the corporation itself, and to focus more on the other 10% more complex and difficult injuries.

This is a major ICT project but is not as big as originally scoped, she says, because one of the platforms originally scheduled for replacement is working fine and there is simply no need to replace it, she told NBR Radio.

And the lessons from the most recent government ICT failure, the Novopay debacle, have been learned, she says.

7 comments
Login in or Register to view & post comments