"The cat lobby here is just as feral, self-centered and as barmy as your gun lobby is," Gareth Morgan has told US publication The Atlantic.
In an interview published on the magazine's website today, Mr Morgan says cat owners who deny their pets kill native birds verge on "explicit stupidity."
The controversial economist spoke to The Atlantic from Shanghai, where he said there was barely any wildlife due to pollution - although he added "Actually I think they eat cats over here."
That statement may possibly add Chinese citizens and diplomats to cat lovers, Phoenix fans and others unhappy with his recent outbursts.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- "We’re not saying the government needs to just give a handout here," says Fed Farmers chief William Rolleston of his Budget bid
- NBR's Jenny Ruth on the Australian Budget levy on major banks and its impact on smaller banks
- NZ Rugby CEO Steve Tew says balancing broadcasting rights and connection to fans is a delicate balance
- Nevil Gibson reveals what's behind the Chinese takeover pullback and which companies will be targeted in future
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended May 19, with Grant Walker