"The cat lobby here is just as feral, self-centered and as barmy as your gun lobby is," Gareth Morgan has told US publication The Atlantic.
In an interview published on the magazine's website today, Mr Morgan says cat owners who deny their pets kill native birds verge on "explicit stupidity."
The controversial economist spoke to The Atlantic from Shanghai, where he said there was barely any wildlife due to pollution - although he added "Actually I think they eat cats over here."
That statement may possibly add Chinese citizens and diplomats to cat lovers, Phoenix fans and others unhappy with his recent outbursts.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Sunday Business Episode 34 featuring Hayden Cox
- Matthew Hooton on what a National win in Mt Roskill could mean for Labour
- Tim Hunter on Sky's awkward Chinese problem
- Paul Goldsmith's attempt at insolvency law reform has been hijacked by a 'basked of deplorables' says Damien Grant
- Business Week in Review with Grant Walker & Andrew Patterson