"The cat lobby here is just as feral, self-centered and as barmy as your gun lobby is," Gareth Morgan has told US publication The Atlantic.
In an interview published on the magazine's website today, Mr Morgan says cat owners who deny their pets kill native birds verge on "explicit stupidity."
The controversial economist spoke to The Atlantic from Shanghai, where he said there was barely any wildlife due to pollution - although he added "Actually I think they eat cats over here."
That statement may possibly add Chinese citizens and diplomats to cat lovers, Phoenix fans and others unhappy with his recent outbursts.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Order Paper: Rob Hosking on good intentions, political correctness and social investment
- Levante S is the ultimate Maserati SUV… and it’s coming to NZ
- Is Pence poised to dump Trump? asks Michael Coote
- Michael Wigley on the rising cybersecurity challenges for boards; the risks for directors; and how to deal with them
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended May 26, with Grant Walker