The National Party has taken a 4.5 percentage point hit since the departure of former Prime Minister John Key on December 5 but the Labour Party continues to poll below 30% despite a 5.5 percentage point jump in support, according to a regularly volatile opinion poll conducted by Australian pollster Roy Morgan.
In the month since the previous Roy Morgan poll, which put National at 50% and Labour on 23%, National has dropped to 45.5% support and Labour jumped to 28.5 percent. Combined with the Greens, unchanged at 14.5%, a centre-left coalition commands 43% support, just short of National.
Winston Peters' New Zealand First party was down half a point to 7.5% support.
The poll may not capture the full impact of the change as the sample of 872 landline and mobile telephone users started on November 28, a week before Mr Key resigned and covering Labour's trouncing of National in the Mt Roskill by-election, on December 3. It ended on December 11. Of all electors surveyed 5.5%, down one point, didn't name a party.
The Roy Morgan poll is the first long time series poll to come out since Fairfax Media did a snap poll on the evening of December 5, just after Key announced he was leaving politics, leading to his replacement by Bill English and the appointment of a new cabinet last weekend.
"If a New Zealand election were held now, the latest New Zealand Roy Morgan Poll shows it would be a very close result," the polling agency said.
Among the government's three support partners, the Maori Party slipped half a point to 1% support, Act fell half a point to 0.5% and there was no measured support for United Future.
Roy Morgan also measured a hit to the government confidence rating, which fell 10 points to 131. New Zealanders saying the country was "heading in the right direction" fell 6.5 percentage points to 58.5% while pessimists rose by 3.5 percentage points to 27.%.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Shareholder lobby wants Fletcher board to seek re-election after 'construction division debacle'
- NBR Rich List backlash the canary in the cold mine, pointing to an ‘anti-wealth’ election: commentator
- ComCom probes Suncorp blocking stake
- MARKET CLOSE: NZ shares mixed, A2, Fletcher rally while Tower drops 28% on merger decline
- While you were sleeping: Fed flags unwinding balance sheet
Most listened to
- Jason Walls questions Simon Bridges about the Fuji Xerox government contracts
- Eric Crampton explains the NBR Rich List backlash
- Asia New Zealand Foundation executive director Simon Draper says schools should teach more Asia-focused subjects
- Nevil Gibson explains the rise of a new group of young adults who still live at home with their parents
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended July 21, with Grant Walker