Rising above the $1 billion mark in annual exports has seen a corresponding rise in the interest in New Zealand wines, with the national brand making it all the way to the front page of the New York Times website today.
While the headline for the story – ‘New Zealand struggles to keep wine prices up’ – suggests a harsh look at the current state of the industry, NY Times writer Alexandra Harney offered up a balanced and relatively positive view of an industry going through growing pains.
No part of the story, including a typically blunt Peter Yealands comment, would come as any surprise to New Zealanders, but this kind of exposure in the lucrative US market is another example of growing international interest in the wines produced in this country.
NZ Winegrowers global marketing director Chris Yorke told NBR the increased profile owed a lot to the industry recently breaching the $1 billion barrier in exports.
“We are now a billion dollar export industry and that does lead to a pick-up of interest. As you become more significant, people are more interested in you.”
The US is a key target market for local wine producers and Mr Yorke said the article showed the word was getting out there.
“For wine companies looking to break into the US, this kind of exposure is priceless.”
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Chinese, UK and Australian immigrants drive NZ net migration to new record in May
- Labour called out over ‘hypocritical’ student volunteer situation
- Local football app developer goes out to the market for cash
- Court action back on for Andrew Little
- O’Malley abandons Cadbury contract bid – but has a plan B
Most listened to
- NZSA chairman John Hawkins on why PFI should buy the management contract
- Anthony Harper partner Richard Smedley discusses the implications of a court ruling against an NBR Rich Lister
- Matthew Hooton says Labour's student scandal highlights its hypocrisy
- My F.C. chief executive Sam Jenkins says the company could disrupt football
- Penny Pepperell explains the Supreme Court view on whether mental health institutions should provide dedicated smoking rooms
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended June 16, with Grant Walker