In New Zealand most job providers in the advertising industry are well-established international networks with parent companies in Australia.
The shoe is presently on the other foot thanks to New Zealand indie agency Special Group, which has announced the appointment of two globally renowned creatives following the startup of its Sydney office earlier in the year.
TBWA Sydney executive creative directors Dave Bowman and Matty Burton will join Special Group Australia in its Sydney office in November.
They saw their current agency double in size and revenue and picked up 19 new business pitches.
Special Group NZ managing partner Michael Redwood says the two creatives are “tremendous global talent” and will help with client services in New Zealand.
Special Group announced the startup of its Sydney premises in June with the appointment of Lindsey Evans as chief executive.
It is early days but the start-up has already won several new clients in a stream of competitive pitches including Red Bull, Paspaley, Marcs, Ecostore and Adoption Awareness.
Mr Redwood says this is a unique occurrence for New Zealand advertising agencies.
“Usually we’re [NZ] on the tail end of international networks and this is the start of something else."
He says New Zealand agencies have unsuccessfully tried this in the past but have failed because they try to manage too much from across the ditch.
"We don’t believe you can set up a ‘branch.’ You need a full focused and resourced self sufficient unit on the ground if we are going to achieve the kind of major impact we’re planning," he says.
"Special Group NZ will always be majority shareholder, with a large minority allocated to the Australian management team to provide a real motivation to succeed."
However, Mr Redwood would not comment specifically on the numbers of shares in the company.
The new Sydney office has six people working in the office, increasing to eight when Mr Bowman and Mr Burton join.
The agency has already produced some work – a campaign for Paspaley featuring Australian actress Teresa Palmer.
Special Group NZ has a roster of 30 clients including 2Degrees mobile, Smirnoff, Red Bull, AA Insurance, TSB Bank, New Zealand Trade & Enterprise, Unitec, Ecostore and the Royal New Zealand Ballet.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- NZ dollar falls with Aussie as Moody's China downgrade mulled, commodities weaken
- MARKET CLOSE: NZ shares rise, led by F&P Healthcare, Sky TV; Ebos falls
- Aussie Rich List – where are the Kiwis?
- How much taxpayers are giving to parties for political ads
- Government edges towards review of low-user electricity tariff
Most listened to
- It’s "odd" StuffMe applicants are "so sensitive about anonymous submissions," says competition lawyer Andy Glenie
- Andrew Little, James Shaw, Steven Joyce and Bill English all weigh in on how good the budget was for Kiwi businesses
- Rob Hosking does not think it's good enough the Budget has left out reduced taxation on savings
- Lawyers are playing musical chairs in this week's Briefcase with John Bowie
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended May 26, with Grant Walker