Click to zoom.
Interactive Advertising Bureau NZ figures, compiled by PriceWaterHouseCoopers, total online advertising spend in New Zealand for 2010 was $257.46 million up 19.65% from 2009's $213.89m.
The result puts online in the same neighbourhood as radio (total 2009 spend: $236 million) and magazines (2009: $217 million).
2010 figures for radio and newspapers are not due to be released until March 17, but with old media struggling to bounce-back from the recession, it seems likely that web advertising has already pulled ahead.
There's still some distance to chase down television ($647 million in 2009) and newspapers ($760 million in 2009).
For the first time, Display surpassed Search & Directories with year-on-year growth of 23.09%, thanks to the rise of internet video and social media advertising. This follows the global trend, as reported by
ZenithOptimedia and eMarketer, that Display advertising is now the fastest-growing internet category.
Liz Fraser, IABNZ Chair says, “recovery of online ad spend in 2010 was significant, with all three segments showing increases year-on-year in double digits. Cracking the milestone of total online ad spend over the
$250m mark puts this industry in line to surpass radio and magazines in 2010.”
Search & Directories is still the channel leader with a 36% share of total ad dollars in 2010 and will continue to hold this position while advertising dollars are transferred from the likes of Radio and Magazines and not taken from established channels such as Search which continues to return strong ROI for marketers.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Calida Smylie ponders how The Warehouse's management's consolidation move will play out
- Rob Hosking talks about Kelvin Davis' rather woeful performance
- Migration figures may slow even without government intervention
- NZ Super Fund CEO Adrian Orr on the mispricing of carbon
- Companies are more aware and prepared for cyber attacks but don't want to tell anyone, says Aura's Peter Bailey
- NBR Radio: The best interviews, with Grant Walker – updated daily