The government will not commit to a second round of the Kyoto Protocol, climate change Minister Tim Groser has announced.
It will instead sign up to the United Nations convention framework from January 1, 2013.
Mr Groser says the government will still honour its existing Kyoto commitments.
"We will remain full members of the Kyoto Protocol. There is no question of withdrawing."
New Zealand has broken ranks with Australia, which is committing to the second round.
He says the move to the UN convention aligns New Zealand with other major economies such as the US, Japan, China, India, Canada, Brazil and Russia.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Infometrics economist Mieke Welvaert says net migration may have reached that “peak point”
- The Warehouse boss Nick Grayston discusses the group's future
- Shane Solly on what higher government bond yields mean for local equities
- Professor Andrew Geddis on the rules of engagement for MMP negotiations
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended September 22, with Grant Walker