The government will not commit to a second round of the Kyoto Protocol, climate change Minister Tim Groser has announced.
It will instead sign up to the United Nations convention framework from January 1, 2013.
Mr Groser says the government will still honour its existing Kyoto commitments.
"We will remain full members of the Kyoto Protocol. There is no question of withdrawing."
New Zealand has broken ranks with Australia, which is committing to the second round.
He says the move to the UN convention aligns New Zealand with other major economies such as the US, Japan, China, India, Canada, Brazil and Russia.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Business Week in Review with Grant Walker and Andrew Patterson
- John Glengarry says the Lacoste trade mark battle has brought certainty to trade mark law
- Folded arms greet Tillerson in Mexico and travel ban update delayed, on Trump's Beltway
- Stewart Germann and Gehan Gunasekara go head-to-head on the franchising debate
- Rob Hosking rates Jacinda Ardern's chances in Mt Albert