Petra Bagust has quit TVNZ's Breakfast, in a live TV announcement seemingly aimed at heading off other media.
Ms Bagust said she had only ever intended to spend two years in the job, and had told herself she would quit when she started to go to bed ahead of her children. That time had come.
She said there would be a transitional period.
TVNZ spokeswoman Georgie Hills says Ms Bagust's last day on Breakfast will be December 21.
No-one was lined up at this point to join co-host Rawdon Christie.
Nielsen TAM ratings for yesterday morning (via Throng.co.nz) show Breakfast maintaining its usual solid lead over TV3 morning rival Firstline.
- Breakfast (7:00am – 8:00am): 149,450
- Breakfast (8:00am – 9:00am): 130,520
- Breakfast (6:30am – 7:00am): 103,940
- Breakfast (6:00am – 6:30am): 48,990
- 3 News Firstline (7:00am – 8:00am): 33,450
- 3 News Firstline (6:30am – 7:00am): 30,750
Ms Bagust says she wants to have breakfast with her family.
One option could be to apply for a job going at TVNZ's new 7pm show, coming in the new year.
Ms Hills says Ms Bagust is leaving for personal reasons, and is not aware of any new project in the immediate pipeline.
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
- Kiwi business traveller stranded in San Francisco after United de-planes his wallet and passport
- Budget 2017: What's been announced so far, what's tipped for today
- Steven Joyce has some fat surpluses to play with
- Pacific Edge tantalisingly close to breakthrough sales, Darling says
- Metroglass profit dips on Aussie expansion costs, capex looms
Most listened to
- Those pre-budget announcements aren’t as big as they look. Joyce still has lots of fiscal room, says Rob Hosking
- Dairy NZ chief executive Tim Mackle says he's hearing from banks they want farmers to shore up their balance sheet
- Business leaders on Budget 2017: Wendy Kerr hopes Steven Joyce has similar ideas to her about ‘shifting and upscaling the economy in a different way.’
- Pacific Edge CEO David Darling on progress with key US customers
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended May 19, with Grant Walker