2DEGREES UPDATE 1pm: 2degrees says backup power generators are now in place and all its cellsites are once again fully operational.
2DEGREES UPDATE TUESDAY 12.56pm:
2degrees, whose Christchurch network was fully functional after yesterday's aftershocks, has now lost three cellsites.
"Yesterday, these sites switched seamlessly to battery power but those batteries have been run down over night," the company said in a statement.
Backup generators are being deployed.
VODAFONE UPDATE TUESDAY 12pm: Vodafone's cellsites in Southshore and Shirley remain out of commission.
The company also said at midday that it is offering Christchurch customers a free divert from their Vodafone landline to their mobile phone for the next 30 days. This free diversion is for both residential and business customers. Consumer customers can call us on 0800 438 448, and business customers can call 888 from their mobile or 0800 400 888.
TELECOM UPDATE TUESDAY 9.55am: Telecom has made payphones across the city free for local, national and mobile calling until the end of the week.
The company also reiterated that it has set up 50 free wi-fi access points; mapped here.
Telecom mobile and fixed networks "continue to stand up well, following yesterday afternoon’s aftershocks in Christchurch".
A number of fixed and mobile network sites are operating on backup power due to widespread mains power loss and more generators have been brought in overnight, the company said.
UPDATE MONDAY 9PM: Vodafone has now been restored to most of its sites, and all are fully functioning except Southshore and Shirley. "We have eight sites operating on generator and a re-fuelling schedule planned for the night," the company said in a statement.
TelstraClear, Telecom, Vodafone and 2degrees networks appear relatively unscathed following the two major aftershocks that struck Christchurch at 1pm and 2.20pm today.
At 3.21pm, Vodafone told NBR that an earlier issue with txts being sent or received from other networks, caused by a backlog, had been resolved.
Like all carriers, Vodafone recommends people use their cellphone for emergency calls to preserve both battery power of their handset as well as reduce capacity on the network, and to txt instead of call where possible.
UPDATE: At 5.20pm A Vodafone spokesman told NBR the following cellsites were down or working on 2G only. Customers in the below areas may still have coverage due to cellsite overlap, albeit with degraded service:
- Sydenham: full outage
- Southshore: full outage
- Hagley Park: 2G outage
- New Brighton Road: full outage
- Shirley: full outage
- Waltham: full outage
- Avondale North: full outage
- McCormacks Bay: full outage
- Woolston 2G:outage
"Cellsites on Wheels (COWs) and extra generators are now being deployed around the region, by the technology team who will be working throughout the night," the company said in a statement.
Vodafone technical staff are visiting inaccessible areas via helicopter to assess the damage.
All Vodafone retail stores are closed until damage has been assessed, and Vodafone’s temporary headquarters in Hornby has also sustained structural damage.
In a 4pm statement, Telecom said its mobile and fixed networks "continue to be congested following this afternoon’s earthquakes.
"Widespread mains power loss is also affecting mobile and fixed networks, with a number of sites operating on backup power."
Congestion was the primary issue rather than power or any physical damage, a spokeswoman told NBR.
At 3.25pm, 2degrees said it had no sites are out of service.
There was "minor congestion for a short period of time after each aftershock," the company said in a statement.
Our [landline] network remains operational," a TelstraClear spokesman told NBR. "Some roadside cabinets are without mains power and are operating on back-up. However, customers in areas without power may not have service because their modems and cordless phones won’t have power." (TelstraClear uses Vodafone's network for its mobile service).
This article is tagged with the following keywords. Find out more about MyNBR Tags
Most listened to
- Massey University's David Tripe on why CBA is selling its life businesses at a loss
- As much as the leaders will bask in a win, they will both face challenges as prime minister, comments Rob Hosking
- Fisheries Inshore NZ chief executive Jeremy Helson says many in the industry have concerns about new fishing regulations
- Perry Group chairman Simon Perry explains why Hamilton needs a $1 billion development in a disused quarry
- Jacinda Ardern has sure been talked up a lot by the media, claims David Cohen
- NBR Radio: best of the week ended September 15, with Grant Walker